aftermarket air filters

makya

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cylindrical K&N... probably 4" diameter by 4" tall or so. Open sides, rubber top and bottom with a connector in the bottom. Slide the connector over the top of the carb, use a hose clamp, and you're good to go.

Look around, there's a bunch of them around. If you want a decent one, K&N has cone and cylinder cotton filters that should work, Edelbrock makes a trangular foam filter, and HKS makes a "mushroom" foam filter. Just figure out the outer diameter of your carb opening and find the appropriate filter.

thanks guys, all I can find on the shelf at the local auto parts stores are the center post type. I'm not a big fan of K&N filters, I found out AFTER I bought one for my Dodge diesel that they create a lot of problems for certain vehicles, My model truck being the most common.

My best friends older brother is head of sponsorship for K&N and I have had people tell me the same thing about "causing problems" on certain cars and trucks...My Subaru WRX as one of those cars, problem being that the oil in their filters causes a bad signal from the MAF sensor or air speed sensor (ONE OF THOSE F'N SENSORS)... NOT TRUE!! K&N spent something like 2 million dollars developing a tester to challange that issue the problem usally comes when the owner cleans and re-oils his/her filter and over oils it then it can give you issues. again those issues are valid but on a FI car/truck not a carbed vehicle. I have had a K&N on my WRX for over a year and have not had any problems as well as many other applications over the years and not one problem and we saw a big increase of HP at the wheels of his brothers shop car (2005 mustange GT) around 14-17 HP at the wheels just by running the FIPK kit.IMO K&N filters work and are worth the $$$

K&N filter elements do flow more air. But on a lot of carbs, the factory air filter housing helps air flow, and the K&N one size fits all may not work on your engine. That point is open to debate, and I am sure that many will chime in with claims of a 243.795 percent horsepower increase on thier engine.

K&N air filters flow more air, and THEY ALSO FLOW MORE DIRT!

Choose wisely.

the FIPK for the 4runner claims ~10 HP increase. i didnt pay new price so for the cost it was a cheap bolt-in HP increase.

if i was running(not racing) in the dirt/dust constantly, i might agree that a paper element is more efficient.

for the street, just change the oil if the x-fine particulate is a concern. these particles are not going to cause a catastophic failure if oil changes are done routinely.

i use syth in the 4runner and go ~6000mi between changes and the analysis done at 110K supports that, at 155K now

ive been using K&N on my cars/trucks/motor cycles since the 80's and have never had a failure from fine dust.

:mellow:

if i was running(not racing) in the dirt/dust constantly, i might agree that a paper element is more efficient.

I agree with this... I was looking into snorkel/off-road racing intake kits when I had my four-by, and I think most of the good kits were actually foam rather than cotton or paper. I could be wrong though, as this was some time ago.

I agree with just changing the oil more frequently if you're super concerned about fine particles, but you could also look into other filters. I don't believe that you'll gain any noticable improvement with a simple filter change, unless you do other modifications with it, so a stock paper filter would work as well. There's a reason the company chose to use a particular filter, so although you may not gain any power, you won't lose any either. If you really want an aftermarket filter, foam is also a possibility... both HKS and Edelbrock have foam filters.

Does anybody know the effectiveness of a foam filter vs a cotton filter?