My vitamin C

guillermofergu

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I made a little list/outline on what I want to do. It's very bland and basic, but I like lists so I can stay focused. This is all to be done after fixing the idle problem. I don't know what order it's all to be done in yet, but the creature comforts will be done as I please with the more important things as I see fit (or with the advisement of you folks!)

I know the list is fairly incomplete as they're all things I could think of off the top of my head, but I was curious on opinions/concerns and whether or not the pricing sounds way off based on your personal experience. I got my numbers based on the average cost of parts (according to my possibly flawed research), and a little extra in case I'm not including something. I can't quite factor in labor because I don't know what I won't do myself, but I want to try and do everything I can. I have a decent working space with a lot of basic tools, but it charges by the hour for me to use it and is limited to certain times.

I appreciate anything you throw at me! I hunger for information (just because I'm asking here doesn't mean I haven't already looked it up to some degree!) :)

VITAMIN C

Engine:

L20B:

-direct swap

needs modified exhaust, oilpan, and pickup, (???)

estimated cost on total swap: ~<$2500

Drive Train:

- transmission: 5 speed: dogleg or z

- drive shaft: poss need to shorten for z tranny

- rear lsd: pref 4.11:1, but 3.9:1 and 3.7:1 are acceptable - from subaru (most likely)

estimated cost on total swap: ~$1200

Suspension:

- new fitted 280z(zx) struts for lowering (or super custom expensive shit that comes with everything necessary)

- lowering springs (~2in)

- bushings everywhere

- items that need to be replaced upon further inspection

estimated cost on replacement: tbd

Electric:

- tachometer

- rewire electric fan

- necessary changes (unk)

estimated cost on replacement: ~$180

Brakes:

- rear disk brake conversion

- replace upon sizable wear

estimated cost on total swap: ~$1000

Body/Interior:

- NEW SEATS

- steering wheel

- cup holder

estimated cost on replacement: ~$800

Wheels/tires:

- custom 13in wheels

- staggered tires

estimated cost on total swap: ~$1000

TOTALS: ~$6680+

Yeah the 79' 80' is better they changed the nut holding the gear in place to a reverse thread after they found out that the 77' 78' model was unthreading itself and caused the gears to move. Its also better ratios for the 510 than the Z car 5 speeds.

Oooh, there's one for sale in my local area! :D

I think I would just buff it out and drive it.Just leave it. lower it and maybe some wheels

get a 5 speed and clutch set up thru the years and youll need a manual gas pedal also as it offset more. clutch brake/clutch assembly.

good luck.

The automatic transmission isn't in the best of condition and I prefer to drive stick anyway, so that's definitely the first thing I'm doing (to the best of my ability given the time to source parts). It may also be the only thing I do to the drive train for a year or so; I want to feel out the l16, as I've never had one before, and then decide if I need a power upgrade. I enjoy this little car, and I want to make it last. I will try to get it a little more cleaned up, but I'm not really concerned with how it looks for now considering its current condition.

Basically, I'm more concerned about drivability than other drivers jizzing themselves when they see the car. BUT that doesn't mean that I can't wait to make this orange monster of mine gleam. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I don't normally drive outside the 410/151/1604 area, so I'm not overly worried. I need to get some things done so the l16 is a little more peppy, but I'm working on other things first like replacing my holey exhaust, getting my 5 speed in, and shoving an lsd in. If I ever need to go elsewhere, I've also got a ford focus that does well in traffic. Once I get my 510 registered in my name and am able to drive around a bit more, we should hang out sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, thats a damn good looking ride you have there.

I know I am a bit late to the party but I JUST finished the motor and tranny swap you're looking into, so when I stumbled upon your thread I thought I would give some input on it.

Im not sure what the local used parts supply (i.e. Craigslist) looks like where you are but your cost projections for the motor and tranny swap seem a bit high. Unless you're getting everything professionally done, and depending on what kind of used components you have access to, I would say cut those numbers in half. If you're doing the work yourself that would still be on the liberal side of my cost so far.

I decided to try and consolidate some of the information I tracked down in various places for my swap in its own thread. hope this helps

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/42016-510-l16-w-automatic-l20b-280zx-5-speed-swap-tutorial/

I saw that thread this morning! I've recently bought all the parts (I hope) to put a dogleg 5 speed transmission on my l16. I bought "everything that makes the engine manual with transmission" including new master and slave cylinders. There's a few things I'm unsure of right now (I haven't cataloged all my parts so I don't even know what I'm unsure about...the whole swap, I guess. I've been told that I have to make some spacers for the transmission crossmember and a few other things. I wonder if it's the same for both the zx transmission and the dogleg.

Yeah. I've been having difficulty finding the exact thickness of the spacing for the spacers. Also, just found out while checking my oil that I have a w53 head. I don't know what to think about that. Didn't they come on imported l18's that had fuel injection? Does that mean if it has the holes for injectors, I could get rid of the carb set up?

Yeah. I've been having difficulty finding the exact thickness of the spacing for the spacers. Also, just found out while checking my oil that I have a w53 head. I don't know what to think about that. Didn't they come on imported l18's that had fuel injection? Does that mean if it has the holes for injectors, I could get rid of the carb set up?

Any efi system on a l motor was never sold in the USA, some members fab up their own but it takes a really good skill set to do it right and make it reliable. If you want cheap efi and more hp I would recommend getting a ka24e. Preferably from a early 240sx s13 89-90 had them. That's what I'm getting for my wagon, cheap parts, strong motor. And pretty easy to work on

Yeah finding factory JDM injection stuff will be very difficult. The plus to a w53 is that most of them have peanut combustion chambers. :thumbup:

Im sorry for posting in the Goon thread as I no longer have a goon (I only had the title for a day, but I count it damn it)... but Guillermo brings up a good point. The guy I bought my 4dr from built all sorts of Datsuns. I should look and see what head I have... I never thought to ask.