New to Ratsun, but been around Datsuns for a while

Refresh101

Hi, my name is Kue (pronounced Ku). I've been a long time Datsun enthusiast and have lurked here for a while. I made an account sometime just this past year and I am finally going to start hanging out around here...

Once upon a time, in the Summer of 1995, when my older brother had shown me some pictures of a boxy looking Japanese car, it somehow caught my attention. After seeing more than three pictures, I was curious,convinced, and very anxious to know the name and model of this boxy looking Japanese car. I asked my older brother, what kind of car is it? He replied, “A Datsun 510.”

After looking at a lot more pictures of Datsun 510’s… I notice that the pictures of the Datsun 510’s I were looking at had different kinds/types of engines. I asked, why do I see different kinds/types of engines? He replied, “You can pretty much swap in just about any engine you want into a Datsun 510 and it doesn’t require smog.” He then elaborated, “It’s called having the mechanical knowledge to wrench, fabricate and you can do it with tools, a welder, some spare time and money.”

When I heard the phrase, “you can pretty much swap in just about any engine you want into a Datsun 510 and it doesn’t require smog”…it gave me a warm fuzzy feeling and a grin from ear to ear. I asked, how did you find out about the Datsun 510? He replied, “Back in junior high school (around 1987), my friend who was much older and out of high school, had a red Datsun 510 two door with an L20b engine and dual Mikuni carbs.” I asked, what are dual Mikuni carbs? He replied, “Dual Mikuni carbs, are racing carburetors and they help force air into the engine so that the engine can breathe more efficiently, and that’s how you make more power.”

When I heard the word “racing,” I had a feeling this car called the Datsun 510 was going to be fun and interesting. He again said, “My friend had a Datsun 510 with an L20b engine, and dual Mikuni carbs… he drove us everywhere and it was a fast little car.” My friend drives from San Diego to Fresno every weekend to see his girlfriend and to hang out with us. He said that the car is very reliable and it only uses $5.00 (circa 1987) to fill up a full tank of gas.

When I heard the words, “racing and $5.00 for a full tank of gas”…I thought to myself wow, this car called a Datsun 510 is really beginning to impress me and what else can’t it do? In the summer of 1997, when I learned how to use a computer and what the “internet” was… I began researching and reading. I had found an article about the BRE Datsun 510 and it’s racing heritage. After I finished reading the whole article, it gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I told myself, “This is it, this is the car that I’m going to buy and own as my first car.”

On November of 1998, my younger brother and I bought a 1972 Datsun 510 two door (He was owner and I was co-owner). On January of 2001, I finally saved up enough money and found a for sale ad of a 1971 Datsun 510 2 door sedan on www.dimequarterly.com. I took down the name and contact number and made a call to get directions. My older brother, younger brother and I headed out early the next morning to see the car.

After test driving the Datsun 510, I had a gut feeling that this was it, the Datsun 510 that I would own. My older brother talked to the owner and helped negotiated a price. I counted the money and handed it to him…he handed me the keys and the title to the Datsun 510. As my younger brother and I drove off, I said, “Yes, I am officially baptized into Datsun 510 heaven.”

All of my mechanical wrenching experince and knowledge came from this car called the, “Datsun 510.” It has inspired and influence me in ways that I would have never seen and thought of. And because of this, the “Datsun 510” has a special place in my heart. Everytime I see a Datsun 510 on the road and or I look at the Datsun 510 I own, it makes makes my heart beat and I fall in love all over again. The rest, is history…

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, for the warm welcome guys. I don't have any updated pictures of the Datsun 510 but I do have some old pictures that hopefully I can scan and post up. Will be posting pictures of the car as soon as I learn how that works.

How to post pictures ->

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/691-how-to-post-pictures-and-keep-online-photo-albums/

It's most importantly important

Wow, I just read my introduction post over and I noticed that I didn't even mention my name. Sorry guys, got to excited and carried away. I'm going to fix that right now...

Welcome, man with no name~ and no oics!;) JK... about the name.:P

Wow, I just read my introduction post over and I noticed that I didn't even mention my name. Sorry guys, got to excited and carried away. I'm going to fix that right now...

Understandable... you were "in the moment". The 12 foot stare in an 8 foot room.

• 1 month later...

datzenmike

Understandable... you were "in the moment". The 12 foot stare in an 8 foot room. Hahaha, that could have been it. But I swear, I had even proof read several times before posting my intro.

2eDeYe

Thank you for the kind words and the warm welcome.

Phlebmaster

Thank you. The more I spend time on here, the more I'm beginning to like it. It's addicting. :hyper: