hotspark

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those Hotspark new distributors are made in China, then Hotspark fits their own pertronix-like module to it.

I've seen a couple of reports from Datsun owners that the Hotspark module is OK. But no reports about the new distributor.

By the way, the Pertronix can use an EI coil with no ballast resistor.

By the way, the Pertronix can use an EI coil with no ballast resistor

12volts divide that by a .7ohm EI coil =17amps. Pertronix says keep it under 4 amps. 12divide by 3ohms = 4amps

stock 510 is 1.6+1.6= 3.2 ohms or 3.75 amps However at START your bypassing the resisitor=8

.1amps

thats just for info. but if people want to run them that way I guess it dont matter to me. Me and Jeff and Frank can pick up another 510 cheap after they rip the carb off thinking the popping is a bad carb instead of looking at the ignition

David some people say that or have gotton away with it. Then they say the PERTRONIX SUCK. i like them and have tons of good tight bushing single point dizzys to use up, thats why I use them. I only have 1 EI type and Im saving it for some reason.

all the ones that I have seen BREAK have been the wrong coil or no ballast installed. One guy at work popped 2 in less than a year I have never broke one. I believe it was the wrong ohms and it is in the instructions to use the stock "about 3" ohm set up.

This would also include the Mallory Unilites( in the fine print) and trhe Allison(CraneCam XR700s)

In theory there are just a electronic trigger than a full EI system

Have you seen one of those dizzys in person?

Pertronix says their Ignitor (the datsun one) can use a Flamethrower coil, which is a low-resistance 1.5 ohm coil. http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx. But perhaps their web site is misleading. They do have two versions of the Flamethrower.

I haven't heard anyone complain about the Pertronix. Everyone using it on a 1200 says it is better than points.

I use a matchbox myself, as it is more powerful than Pertronix and has the other benefits.

It says to use the 3 ohm ohm flamethrower. But most likely you pull out YOUR the ballast So during START your still going thru the 3 ohm coil. Thats why I say the stock system is better as your bypass the ballast and get more current to the stock coil with the stock set up. Esp on cold days. Youll need more POWER to the ignition.

You Know the stock Jap coils are fine!!!!!!

the other is the 1.5 for for the 6 and 8 cylinders

• 2 weeks later...

there is a diagram somewhere on the net on how to use a Pertronix with a 6 box.

Not sure on coil.

I dont like the 6 boxes as seen alot of unreliability in them

...and expense. For under $100 you can have a later EI matchbox and coil and paint them red..

Can A Pertronix handle a Msd ignition set up ?? like a 6a box and coil.

Yes. I run a pertronix with an MSD 6al and a blaster 2 coil. No ballast resister. I ran without the 6al, just the blaster 2 coil, on the street for awhile. No ballast resister either. I have never killed a pertronix. Both of mine are 20+ years old.

The one in the sandrail gets the shit beat out of it.

• 2 months later...

The guys at Discount Import in Portland don't like Hotspark stuff. I've never messed with it. The Discount Import guys are all VW heads, but the one guy I talked to said he had Hotspark in three of his VWs, and they all failed within a two-year period. Maybe they're just BS-ing to try to sell their stuff? I don't know...

Eric B

I dont think the Pertonix needs a Ballast in the MSD set up. as its separated some how. Just needs the 12volts as the box controls the rest.

But in a stock type set up the instructions say use the ballast and under 4 amps.

Silky, The VW guys have to make saure to run the correct coil and if a ballast used. I never tryed HOTSPRK and may never will. But I seen alot of pertronix not used correctluy and burn up. I have have mine over 10years now and not one proplem excpt the ring tape finally worn out ont he dizzy shaft.

PS Mallorty unitles should run the stock coil and ballast also Its in the fine print otherwise the modules will pop.Some sooner soem later but will pop

+1

If you use the Pertronix as a trigger, and the MSD as the ignitor, coil is per MSD specs.

If you use the Pertronix as an ignitor, the coil is per Pertronix specs. A lot of guys get away with using a non-spec coil resistance, but for how long? If you want it to last 50,000 miles, follow the directions.