car will not go moar low! help!

jdmdime

Alrighty, 71 510 sedan, megan track coilovers on 280zx spindles. I tried to get a max low oic of the car only to find out it will absolutely not go lower than a 2” crossmember clearance. The coilover spring has about 2” of free play with the weight of the car. I unbolted the sway bar with no change. Then noticed the extreme angle of the tc rods so I got rid of those too (temporarily) with no change again. Only thing left is the lca and the actual strut. There is plenty of tire clearance all around. The only thing I can think of is the lower ball joints binding not letting it go any lower. Im not running rca's and im running 280zx steering arms (I think thats the issue) how am I supposed to be as low as indy =) ill swap back to 510 steering arms tomorrow and report back. Any other suggestions?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohh yeah im sure. the strut is soo short, it should lay frame no problem. I measured from the bottom of the strut to the top of the shock and got 13”. Im sure thats way shorter than aw11 short stroke struts.

Alrighty so I unbolted the lower control arm from the crossmember side to see if it had any binding issues and bingo. Im not sure if the ball joints are bad but im replacing them anyway. I also used a bunch of washers as a bump steer spacer (temporary, do not run it that way!) And now my t185//55r14 are resting on my frame rails... Much better :)

Fuck ... :huh: ... .. I need to put a disclaimer on my pics ...... .. I DO NOT drive my car that low ... . it is physically impossible to even roll when it's slammed

I have stock front control arms on a stock crossmember ..... I've never ran the raised LCA crossmember because it involves modifying the steering arms, and raising the T/C rods / and a new race sway bar that would drag on the ground

My front struts are really short with MR2 inserts .... and the pics of my rockers almost on the ground is with NO rear shocks/springs

You NEED at least 3 inches of clearance at the front crossmemebr to drive with a rear sump pan .... and still have "use-able" suspension/steering

.,... every inch you raise it makes it more fun to drive .. .. . . the rear camber in the rain,, and constanly bottoming out the rear shocks gets really old

Fuck ... :huh: ... .. I need to put a disclaimer on my pics ...... .. I DO NOT drive my car that low ... . it is physically impossible to even roll when it's slammed

I have stock front control arms on a stock crossmember ..... I've never ran the raised LCA crossmember because it involves modifying the steering arms, and raising the T/C rods / and a new race sway bar that would drag on the ground

My front struts are really short with MR2 inserts .... and the pics of my rockers almost on the ground is with NO rear shocks/springs

You NEED at least 3 inches of clearance at the front crossmemebr to drive with a rear sump pan .... and still have "use-able" suspension/steering

.,... every inch you raise it makes it more fun to drive .. .. . . the rear camber in the rain,, and constanly bottoming out the rear shocks gets really old

^Words of wisdom. Mine MR-2 BZ3099's, 200lb springs, in the front has about 3" ground clearance and I would not go lower, I can make it over speed bumps and never have a problem with bottoming out, yet I'm tucking 175/70/13's.

A few people have gone really low. If you really don't care about speed, and just want to cruise everywhere under the speed limit in a badass 510... its possible, but takes a lot of work and a lot of shit breaks.

Check out this guys build.

http://community.rat...ge__hl__slammed

5463236343_e6459d5c0d_b.jpg

Also you ever wonder how those road turtles get removed from the road? Changing lanes.

Photo0086.jpg

^Words of wisdom. Mine MR-2 BZ3099's, 200lb springs, in the front has about 3" ground clearance and I would not go lower, I can make it over speed bumps and never have a problem with bottoming out, yet I'm tucking 175/70/13's.

If you really don't care about speed, and just want to cruise everywhere under the speed limit in a badass 510... its possible, but takes a lot of work and a lot of shit breaks.

Check out this build.

http://community.rat...ge__hl__slammed

5463236343_e6459d5c0d_b.jpg

Also you ever wonder how those road turtles get removed from the road? Changing lanes.

Photo0086.jpg

no you have 3/4" ground clearance

.Fuck ... :huh: ... .. I need to put a disclaimer on my pics ...... .. I DO NOT drive my car that low ... . it is physically impossible to even roll when it's slammedI have stock front control arms on a stock crossmember ..... I've never ran the raised LCA crossmember because it involves modifying the steering arms, and raising the T/C rods / and a new race sway bar that would drag on the ground My front struts are really short with MR2 inserts .... and the pics of my rockers almost on the ground is with NO rear shocks/springsYou NEED at least 3 inches of clearance at the front crossmemebr to drive with a rear sump pan .... and still have "use-able" suspension/steering.,... every inch you raise it makes it more fun to drive .. .. . . the rear camber in the rain,, and constanly bottoming out the rear shocks gets really old

Ive driven a low 510 for years. Im just going a little lower. Im gonna go with 2” front crossmember clearance and a little rake in the rear. I plan to drive it around town only I selected roads. I have a skid plate welded up for my pan. Ohh and on my coilover setup, its phisically impossible to bottom out my shocks. My highest setting is ”low” and will only go lower...

I've got an offtopic question, what is the proper way to jack up a car if you've got the crossmember down this low?

Also, if you unbolt the lower portion of your fenders you may be able to turn the wheels easier...

You'd have to use ramps, then once the car is on ramps you jack it up normally.

You'd have to use ramps, then once the car is on ramps you jack it up normally.

Or in reality, 2x4s. Every post I have ever read about jacking slammed cars is "drive onto 2x4" Though the miata's like to lift from the rear tow hook...

I always put the jack under the radiator,, and it dents the bottom seam to the valence ... .. but I have lowered it so much that I got the jack out using another smaller jack

..... then drove 10ft dragging on the pavement,,,, and couldn't get either jack anywhere under the car ..... :unsure:

that's why I always drive around with low car ramps ..... . one 2x4 wasn't enough ... .. I used two 2x6's:

5939022691_2f4a91d66a_o.jpg

Photo0086.jpg

Those are my tig welds on the oil pan! I had to redo the sump because that kid ripped the pan open! Now the sump is about an inch deep. I guess anything is better than a huge hole in the pan.