Minty Fresh 510

Tristin

Strange man. Whenever my stuff is low on coolant, it reads really hot.  normally from the steam. Plus I can hear the motor pinging. 

Yeah before the swap I was always at like 3/4 temp. Did the swap and was at 1/2 then once I started losing coolant I was just under a half. When I was at the gas station about to check the water level, I cracked the pressure relief on the radiator cap and nothing happened. Thats when I knew I was in trouble. 

Luckily I got it fixed up with the tools I had in the trunk and went about my day. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So finally remembered to write down my VIN and did the free auto check. Looks like my car is a slut and Im the 6th owner. 

Nothing too crazy to report, but I do have all my dash pieces now boxed up and ready to be powdercoated. I just need to make it down to JRs to drop them off. 

A question on trailers: Do all trailers require plates? Im blue-skying it, but thought a little mini trailer behind the 510 would be cool for picking up parts that wont fit in the car. It would keep me from needing a 521 at the moment and would allow me to transport larger heavier items. Something single axle and 6ft long or less. I tried checking out the DOL website, but it mainly talks about CDL trailers and not personal trailers. 

Guest 510kamikazifreak

So finally remembered to write down my VIN and did the free auto check. Looks like my car is a slut and Im the 6th owner. 

Do I have a problem ,I remember the vin #'s of my 510's?

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Haha I know the one from the dash Im restoring by heart, but have never had to use the actual one except to register it a year ago. Im sure Ill commit it to memory now. Its only like 5 numbers. 

I have a problem with numbers.They stick in my head..

Yes trailers do need to be licensed, you really don't think the state would miss any opportunity to get their hands in your pocket, or do you?

Thats true. I wasnt sure if there was a length requirement though. Anything under a certain tonnage or length wouldnt need to be registered. I basically just want a motorcycle trailer I guess. Something to carry some seats, or a long block on.

I guess when I renew my tabs here in the next day or two I will ask them. Thanks Rick.

In Washington you have to register every trailer you have. Doesnt matter the size. I looked into building something lowered to pull behind the goon. Then figured out the expense and wasn't digging it.

In Washington you have to register every trailer you have. Doesnt matter the size. I looked into building something lowered to pull behind the goon. Then figured out the expense and wasn't digging it.

Thanks, Ill ask the DOL when I go in later today. Im hoping its not too bad. 

Im sure building something can get expensive, but we shall see... its not even a sure thing. Just something I could see myself using legitimately (and not just for a drift trike :poke: )

Due to the DOLs shorter Saturday hours I didnt go in for tabs, but I renewed online. Ill pick them up Monday and will ask about the trailer then. 

Also figured out the source for the leaky dash. After some cleaning along the firewall and the well under the cowl, I found these two holes:

8605010174_78c72dd260_z.jpg

I dont know what they were for or if a PO did them, but I patched them up with some epoxy I bought to fix some home plumbing (lucky coincidence):

8605010334_5e4fb68218_z.jpg

The epoxy combined with a clear cowl drain should ensure that I have no more wet passenger floorboards. 

Also, my engine build and R1 carb install is taking longer than expected so I snapped up a Weber for cheap and just purchased a rebuild kit. Hope to have that on the car sometime this week.

Its been raining all day and my floor boards are dry... looks like the sealant I used a couple posts above worked perfectly. I do seem to have a bit of water coming out of a seem on the inside of the door sill. Im not too sure how water is coming out f there.

Also, the farthest forward relay on the passenger-side is making a ridiculous amount of noise. Thing is, it only makes noise when in park. You put it in gear and all the noise goes away. It also changes pitch sometimes. 

I checked the tracking when I got off work today and saw it was delivered. Glad it is safely in your hands, and I'm hoping it didn't get jostled around much in transit.

Looks like it came in good condition. I'll be rebuilding it tonight hopefully and installing it Sunday.

If the leak is where I think it is, make sure a check the rubber around the windshield. I had a leak, really small around there and couldn't figure it out till I saw tthe minor hole.

The front seems to be take care of... its now coming in slightly through the passenger-side sill plate area (under the door). Theres a seam there and there a bit of water coming out of it. Im not in too much rush to fix that one as with something like 6hrs of rain, only a bit came in. The holes in the front had the floorboards flooding up to an inch or more of standing water. 

Ill snap a picture tomorrow of the location of the new leak. 

Also, the farthest forward relay on the passenger-side is making a ridiculous amount of noise. Thing is, it only makes noise when in park. You put it in gear and all the noise goes away. It also changes pitch sometimes. 

Those 2 relays are related to having a auto tranny. 1 is the starter relay, the other the reverse light relay.

My guess is that its the starter relay. Or, the relay that allows the starter to work in park and neutral.

Probably just a bad connection. Not that many wires.

Oooh it's by down by the door. For some reason I was picturing rain running from the up-right. I think that just has to do with the way the door sitts. Mine had been minorly hit and the rocker panel was dented in and I had a small amount of water flow because of it. Just a suggestion.

Those 2 relays are related to having a auto tranny. 1 is the starter relay, the other the reverse light relay.

My guess is that its the starter relay. Or, the relay that allows the starter to work in park and neutral.

Probably just a bad connection. Not that many wires.

I remembered one being for the auto and I couldnt remember the others. I havent been able to find my FSM so I havent confirmed. Im thinking it could be both are going out/are out... I had some issues with my reverse lights being on at all times. I just unscrewed the bulbs as a quick fix and completely forgot about it until you just mentioned it. Whats a common replacement for the relays up there? Im sure they cant be expensive to just buy some 12v relay. 

Oooh it's by down by the door. For some reason I was picturing rain running from the up-right. I think that just has to do with the way the door sitts. Mine had been minorly hit and the rocker panel was dented in and I had a small amount of water flow because of it. Just a suggestion.

Yeah its near the door. Its like the seem where the floor pan meets the door sill. Ill snap a picture, its obvious where the water is coming in. Its an odd place for water to be coming out though, so Im sure Ill have to do some hunting for the source. 

Are/did u use(ing) any sort of bath to soak the carb in? Or just replacing gaskets and cleaning by hand?

Im not sure what Im doing yet. Probably just cleaning hand. Once I get it fully torn down Ill look at condition and se if it needs something more than a quick hand wash.