Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 510kamikazifreak

RPM = piston speed in FPM (feet per minute) x 6 divided by stroke in inches

Horsepower = RPM x torque divided by 5252

Torque = 5252 x HP divided by RPM

this does us in metric no goods :rofl:

i like where this is going +1

whats the top speed(hp) on a modded l16 engine (racing l16 engine)????

I'm sure you haven't heard the last of the jested remarks on this one~ I'll be staying tuned just to watch the shenanigans!

Kidding aside: Aerodynamics notwithstanding, a reasonably accurate formula is this~ it takes about 80hp to do 100mph. To double the speed requires the hp be cubed~ or 640hp. So the real question is~ (speed costs money) how fast do you wanna go?

Scott

honestly, when i first saw this... i first thought of a motor laying on the ground and flopping around like a fish at idle..... and then i thought, "i wonder if my washing machine (with an uneven load) would be faster"

That's a great image. Yep you are right though top speed of any L16 is terminal velocity so if the cliff/roof top is high enough roughly 120mph or did you need it in kph. Did you plan to drop it on some one???

l16 w53 head weber and electronic dist with 4 speed I do 70mph at 4k and 80mph at 5k all day long everyday.

l16 stock with hitachi carb and pollution control I can do 70mph easy but it takes a while to get up to speed. I'm sure it goes faster I just haven't pushed it that hard.

This is in my trucks mind you.

whats the top speed(hp) on a modded l16 engine (racing l16 engine)????

This looks like two different questions to me. You ask about top speed, but then in parenthesis say horsepower?

I have a fairly similar 510 to yours. 32/36, and a 4-speed, but I've got an L20b, back in the day I got my car up to about "95" one day on a slight downhill (in quotes because my speedo is a little optimistic). That was faster than felt comfortable in my car.

However, after doing the math (I couldn't find the stock redline of an L16, so I assumed 6500rpm), a 510 with a 3.9:1 final drive, a 1:1 4th gear, and the stock tires (rolling radius of 10.94"), is gear limited (as opposed to drag limited) to 108.5mph.

If redline is significantly different plug into this:

6500*60/3.9/922=Speed @ redline in 4th.

6500rpm*60min-per-hour/3.9:1/922revs-per-mile

If tire size is different, look up "Revs per mile" in the specs on tirerack.com for your tire or a same size tire, and replace 922 with this number. If you want to find speed at a different rpm, plug that in... etc...

The answer to your second possible question is much more complicated, and I can't give you a definitive answer, but if you watch "Against All Odds," Pete Brock says that they were making 160hp out of their L16s before they switched to L18s. Now this is with dual webers, and fully built race motor with factory backing, but it was also the seventies. So it may be easier in some ways and harder in many others to make this much power with an L16.