Look what I got

Ok I know its not a Datsun but I have been keeping my eye out for a Volkswagen that was restorable for a long time. Twenty years actually I crashed the first one I had in high school and never could find the right deal at the right time since. So even though it would make things tight money wise for a week at my house I knew I could swing this one. I saw it on craigslist for $500, I told my wife I was buying it if it had a motor in it but I realize now she thought I was joking. So went to see it and it looked doable so with out any further consultation of the old lady I bought it. (not a good idea really but I knew her answer so...) I was able to make things alright with her but only because she is awesome. With out further ado the oics.

100_0872.jpg

100_0873.jpg

100_0874.jpg

100_0877.jpg

So it doesn't run yet but it will start on starting fluid and I think once the gas tank is rehooked up it will all work fine. a little tlc and some paint and I'm on the road. I do however, and by decree of the all powerful wife, have to sell a couple of things so buy the 210 for sale in the Datsuns for sale area.

PS don't buy cars older than you are that don't run with out the old lady knowing it will definitely give you an uncomfortable afternoon and in some extreme cases lead to your demise at the hands of your wife.

PPS anyone know what the ratsun of VW's is called??

• Like 1
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there is only one forgive me. I meant is there a helpful, not stuffy forum where stupid people are appropriately ridiculed like they are here

oh and yes the forgiveness thing is much easier if you survive it. My wife said I was lucky I didn't tell her in person. I made sure she had about 5 hours to cool down. Be careful using the same method though...

Old VW dub's are cool. I think the engine is easier to fix than a Datsun engine.

Make sure the fittings on the fuel pump are secure. On many older VW's the brass pipe is just pressed into the fuel pump body and can work loose. Then it pumps gasoline on to a hot engine.

If you ever smell even a trace of gasoline when driving the car, find out why.

Now get out there and buff that vdub out :frantics:

All I wanted to do was buff that bug and get it running today but the old lady had a list of what I had to do to earn the forgiveness I am almost done with the list so next weekend is all mine. It will be shiny and running very soon...

I really don't need much help getting the bug going so one Ratsun will work for now. I need to find a couple diagrams (found the wiring just need the vacuum hose routing now) and I'm good so I won't be going anywhere now. I only keep around ratsun for the lollz and oics anyway

What's the buffing compound everyone likes I know its T3 or something anyone know??

Volksrod, if you have the front beam suspension DO IT. biggrin.gif Also you should buy my 2109cc motor and finish building it wink.gif

I have a 73 super beetle myself, The stock VW motors are really easy to work on and run pretty good, they can be finicky but they take a beating. I'm currently swapping a Subaru motor into mine and building it all out. Looks like you have a early 71 Super beetle? not sure.

Also keep the single carb if you want, If the heat risers in the manifold get plugged up it won't heat the manifold and you'll basically just drip gas down into the cylinders when running. VW basically designed your car to vapor lock in order to run right. Anyways I personally threw on some Dual Kadrons onto my car, Totally changed it made it drive better start faster and it was faster. biggrin.gif With a stock 1600cc I was getting 25mpg in town (Driving it hard all the time) and I got 35mpg on the highway.

No its a 73 regular beetle no struts up front

We'll see how she goes stock before I change it. I had a 69 in high school bone stock and never had any trouble but I do like the Weber on my 620. We'll see what the budget is like

if any of you guys need some of this "junk" I'm selling to satiate the the old lady you would get a great Ratsun deal

My homemade Moped

100_0881.jpg

http://santafe.craigslist.org/mcy/2824970691.html

and a pile of Honda CL350 Scrambler

100_0885.jpg

http://santafe.craigslist.org/mcy/2824874886.html

I assure you that some of the proceeds of these sales will be used in the restoration of fine old Japanese vehicles wink.gif

So went to see it and it looked doable so with out any further consultation of the old lady I bought it.

That's a fuckin' MAN right there! YOUR money YOUR shit!

(not a good idea really but I knew her answer so...) I was able to make things alright with her but only because she is awesome.

Okay.. That's a fuckin' 7/10ths MAN right there! YOUR money YOUR shit (with permission)!

:fu: :P

That's a fuckin' MAN right there! YOUR money YOUR shit!

Okay.. That's a fuckin' 7/10ths MAN right there! YOUR money YOUR shit (with permission)!

:fu: :P

Hey I had to go home eventually so I had to smooth things over before I got there. Any its all better now she is already helping me pick paint colors and talking other details with out me bringing them up. I looks good from here.

There is a kid here in Vancouver who had a Beetle with a wrecked frame and a WRX with a wrecked body. Guess where the shell of the Beetle ended up. :)

Bright silver and blue Beetle with a license plate of 'WRXBUG'. All wheel drive turbo in a '68 dress. :)

FUUUUUUUUUU