Ball joint issue.

Rhapakatui

I got some lower control arms for my build from eBay a while back. They're cheap chinese junk, but should do the job for the least $.

The ball joints that they came with consist of 3 parts. Ball joint proper; cone shaped piece; and long shanked tapered bolt with crown nuts in each end.

IMG_20120127_150137.jpg

Thing is, I think they sent me the wrong tapered bolt. I ordered them for an s14 (spindles that I am using), but it appears that they sent them for a 300zx. I only say this because the taper on the bolt fits perfectly with the Infiniti J30 spindles that I have, but is too large for the s14 spindles that I plan to use.

I'd rather not bother dealing with the company that I got them from as they seem like eGay douche nozzles, but if I have to I will. I don't have any precision machining tools, but I do have various grinders.

My question is: Would it be okay to taper the bolt a bit more with a grinder and/or hone out the spindle with a die grinder to make these work?

I understand that certain parts have very tight clearances that must be held.... I'm just not sure if this is one of those times.

I figure if I do it by hand, I can get it close enough for a fairly tight seat, but it won't be perfect, I could also take it to a local machine shop if that would be better.

Thanks for any opinions or expert advice.

Jerm

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The taper is a precision lock fit. I've never heard of anyone grinding them before.

The steering arm (knuckle arm) fastens to that ball joint. Not the spindles. So why not just use the J30 steering arms? The S14 strut/spindle will bolt to either J30 or S14 steering arms.

Sorry, I've heard them called spindles and knuckles. I didn't know which was correct.

I'm switching to s14 knuckles so that I can bolt on coilovers, which I've already purchased as well.

I was hoping to have it all bolted up this weekend. So your opinion is get the people to send the right part. Do not attempt to retaper the bolt. Correct?

For the benefit of newbies who may happen to read this thread, here are some further descriptions.

Spindle -- "a rod on which something turns"

14149.jpg

On a Datsun, the spindle is one piece welded to the strut housing.

15857.jpg

Steering Arm turns the wheels. Also known as a "Knuckle arm".

13022_4e3cbb95cad29.jpg

Strut/Spindle assembly bolted to the Steering Arm

8060.jpg

Steering Arms attached to the Ball Joints (new 510 pictured)

8532.jpg

• Like 1