Too much Power... and not in a cool way.

Tice

My 280Z is making too much power, electronically speaking. My Voltage Gauge can't even tell me how much it's making, it shoots right by 16 when the car is on.

I have an Alternator from a 280ZX in it, and I know the Fuzable link (Attatched to Front Left Wheel well in the engine bay) is just a piece of wire (can't recall what gauge)...

When I plug my DC-AC converter in the cigarette lighter, it reads an error code, my marker lights dont work because the fuze is destroyed as soon as i flip the switch to turn them on, and I can imagine other things aren't working like they're supposed to due to this...

What's going on? Is it just the Fuzable link? Will I have to go back to a 280Z Alternator, instead of the 280ZX? Can I get a Voltage Regulator to put inline to regulate everything before it reaches anything vital? Thanks in advance, guys.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 280Z is making too much power, electronically speaking. My Voltage Gauge can't even tell me how much it's making, it shoots right by 16 when the car is on.

I have an Alternator from a 280ZX in it, and I know the Fuzable link (Attatched to Front Left Wheel well in the engine bay) is just a piece of wire (can't recall what gauge)...

When I plug my DC-AC converter in the cigarette lighter, it reads an error code, my marker lights dont work because the fuze is destroyed as soon as i flip the switch to turn them on, and I can imagine other things aren't working like they're supposed to due to this...

What's going on? Is it just the Fuzable link? Will I have to go back to a 280Z Alternator, instead of the 280ZX? Can I get a Voltage Regulator to put inline to regulate everything before it reaches anything vital? Thanks in advance, guys.

If I remember correctly (from like 1993) the 280ZX alternators had a built in voltage regulator. Mine failed and I was lucky enough to spot the volt-meter on the gauge cluster spike well past the red zone when I gave it the beans coming out of a corner. I ended up having to replace the alternator because I couldn't get that voltage regulator separately.

Alright, That sounds like it could be my problem. My gauge doesn't spike at all, it is ALWAYS over 16 when the car is on. haha. However, there's very little for my alternator to power in my car. If no one comes up with a better solution, I'll get that swapped pronto

Internal regulated (IR) alternators were used after '78. Prior to this there will be a regulator on the fender. Using an IR on a system with another regulator is.... bad. Pull the plug off the alternator now or don't use the car.

The system can be converted to use the IR alternator by splicing two wires and removing the external regulator from the system..

Take it Autozone and have them test it?

nope.

they only test that the alt puts out over 12v. so it will come back as good.

your internal regulator is fried.

if you converted yours from external to internal (im tired, cant remember what 280z had) make sure do didnt fuck up the wiring on the external regulator delete. I did that on a 510 and it caused my internal regulator to fail then in turn causing it to charge at 18+ (gauge didnt go higher lol)

The switch was done by Doug @ U.P Garage, Im not sure what he did or how he did it. I didnt even ask him to swap my Alternator, he was working on something electrical and said that the new alternator would be better for the car,a nd didnt charge me for it. So I said cool and have been driving it for a year and half now. Ill check the Fender for the other regulator. Can you post a pic, or PM me a pic, mike, so I know what it is im looking for?

@Skib, Thats what I figured to. I mean, a year and a half of driving, you'd think I would've noticed this a little earlier. Alternators are finniky things.

@Mike, Ill check to see if I have an External Reg anyways, mostly out of curiousity.

I will post a status report when I get this all fingered out. Thanks for helpin me clear this up, guys

at 17v, the factory service manual warns it could burn out components and damage electrial units.

proceed with caution

Basic knowledge tells me this is probably true, and I've probably already F'd something up... but I havent noticed any noticable changes... yet haha.

and have been driving it for a year and half now.

This wasn't in the first post so forget what I said. If running for a year and a half on 17 volts you would have gone through half a dozen batteries by now. Replace the alt.

• Like 1

nope.

they only test that the alt puts out over 12v. so it will come back as good.

your internal regulator is fried.

Not necessarily true. IF it's tested on the car, they will look for that (and if they're dumb enough, will tell you 16V is okay...)

If it's done off the car on our new Wells tester, we can bolt it in and simulate a running engine @ 1000rpm and will test the regulator, diode, etc.

If it's done off the car on our new Wells tester, we can bolt it in and simulate a running engine @ 1000rpm and will test the regulator, diode, etc.

Thanks for the tip, Might have them test it when I go pick up my replacement to see if getting a new one is nessecary.