Pulling off the bed...

metalmonkey47

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We didn't break most of ours on our 521 when pulling them in August, but it looked like the PO had pulled them at some point. As long as you can get one out clean, you can buy replacements of them. We just replaced all of ours (bolts & nuts). I can't say how the 620s are, but our 521 had no welding, just holes that went all the way through to loose nuts and washers, so it was nice and simple to replace them all and will make life easy for the future removals of the bed. :thumbup:

From my experiance with rusty bolts, be generous with a good penetrating oild such as AeroKriol ( keep it off your skin and anything else important to you), and clean the exposed threads of any dirt and heavy rust scale with a wire brush. And good luck!

I have not broke a 620 bed bolt yet. But be very careful where your fingers are when you hit them with an air tool. Cost me six stitches. You have been warned.. :blink:

They have a tab welded to the head that is supposed to stop them from turning so you only need to take the nut off. Well, that welded tab will cut the shit out of your finger, and they dont work worth a damn at keeping the bolt from turning because the tab bends and then the bolt just spins. Then you need to get the torch or cutoff wheel out. But they are very hard to get to with a cutoff wheel, not easy with the torch either.

Good luck

The top of the bolts where the tab is also have a 6 point 17mil head. So if they start to spin just put a wrench in there and you should have no prob, but the the mounts closest to the cab have deep pocket and a wrench wo'nt fit. I recently got all of mine of with a 1/2" impact. A few started to spin so I clamped them down with vise grips. I oiled the threads and spun the nuts back and forth til they came off.