lowering

j72

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what shoul i use to lower my pick up 620..any options?

Turn the torsion bars down on the front and put a 3" block between the rear leaf springs and the axle. Changing the ride height on the front will throw the tow and camber out on the front from slightly to major. Any more lower and you may have to remove the torsion bar and reset it's spline location to give even more adjustment. The problem is that you are very close to the rubber bump stop and yes, you can cut them down for more suspension travel, but the ride quality is now affected. Riding on the bump stops is retarted. For the back, 2" or 3" blocks will space the axle higher on the body effectively lowering it that amount. The blocks and lengthened U bolts can be bought as a kit. Removing a leaf spring isalso retarted as it softens the ride and allows the body to travel further on bumps... not what you want on a lowered vehicle.

All this can be found in the FAQ section of the first page of General Discussion.

If you do decide to cut down your bumpstops for more suspension travel at the new reduced ride height, make DARN sure your shocks won't bottom out! They should have at least another inch of travel (more's better) once the bumpstop touches your suspension. It is not a pretty sight when this happens, and if you're running gas-charged shocks each one can be a little bomb under your car/truck~ with the potential of taking out a brake line, a tire, or....

Choose wisely...

I believe Pinto shocks can be used as a shorter replacement.

They can. You have to remove a metal bushing from the bottom. Its kind of a PITA (ask me how i know...)

Though, with a pinto shock its barely any shorter. half inch i think?? But for 13 bucks for two why not eh! Bought mine off rockauto for that shipped.

Best to just add a few inches to your shock mount for ride+safety quality.