280zx struts

john510

Ive started my 280zx strut/brake conversion on my 510.After removing the strut cartridge from the tube on the zx strut i noticed oil in the tube,about 2 tablespoons.Is that supposed to be in there ? the cartridges are KYB nitrogen charged and dont appear to be leaking.My question is what would that oil be for.Ive read every thread on suspension and did see something about changing to motorcycle fork oil.Is that oil going in the strut tube or into a strut cartridge ?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna have to disagree with Kisor. It's probably just left over from when the inserts were changed out the first time. The original inserts were not sealed, except within the strut tube itself, and operated in an open bath of oil. Changing weights of oil applies only to inserts that use the strut tube as the outside shell of the shock itself like the original inserts. You can reuse good original inserts and change the oil viscosity to increase damping without getting new inserts. The same principle applies to motorcycle forks and good mountain bike forks. Replacement inserts should be the correct length, or come with appropriate spacers, to fit snugly between the bottom of the strut tube and the gland nut, preventing them from moving side to side.

Gonna have to disagree with Kisor. It's probably just left over from when the inserts were changed out the first time. The original inserts were not sealed, except within the strut tube itself, and operated in an open bath of oil. Changing weights of oil applies only to inserts that use the strut tube as the outside shell of the shock itself like the original inserts. You can reuse good original inserts and change the oil viscosity to increase damping without getting new inserts. The same principle applies to motorcycle forks and good mountain bike forks. Replacement inserts should be the correct length, or come with appropriate spacers, to fit snugly between the bottom of the strut tube and the gland nut, preventing them from moving side to side.

If I need spacers do they go under the cartridge or on top and where can I get them?

Gas charged shocks still use oil. The pressurized gas is mainly there to help keep the oil from aerating (foaming) which would degrade performance, similar to how you don't want your engine oil foaming. It's a bonus, so sure, you can have shocks that are not gas charged, like the OEM strut inserts.

If I need spacers do they go under the cartridge or on top and where can I get them?

If you are going to use cartridges, the spacers go under the insert. Any thing big and solid will work, I've used large nuts & pieces of tubing or even pipe before.