Reincarnation

Well, the choice to start this project was handed to me (metaphorically speaking) on not a silver platter~ but rather a coolant-filled drain pan. I've been fighting several smaller issues keeping my truck running on a red ink budget, when yesterday after work I discovered it's hydrolocked while sitting in the parking lot. Got it freed up and lickety-splitted home~ and now the fun begins!

When I brought it home.... not much to look at at first (I hate orange!), and relatively straight~

R1s.jpg

R3s.jpg

The inside was remnants of 1980's mod's. Check out the apehair dash~ now faded and going bald! :blink: Rusty floor, warped doorpanels, and a dashpad that's not just dead~ but decomposing...

R5s.jpg

Everyone knows what lies beneath the bonnet of a 521~ this pics here merely as a starting reference point~

R7s.jpg

What's wrong with this picture...?lol.gif

R10s.jpg

The next two pics are after my rollover back in September. It came to rest on the driver's side. Can you believe it didn't even mess up my mirror adjustment? That fender was pushed into the hood, and got it a bit kinky as well~ but I never travel without my trusty BFH~

accident1as.jpg

Radiator support/headlight bucket's tweaked~ there's almost a 3/4" gap between the bucket & fender here~

accident6s.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so what did you do with the old rims, mostly the rear's. I have a set but would love to do the deeeeep dish on all four

Sorry Stretch~ gone to the recycler in the sky. They were so far gone with rust it'd have cost more to repair than to replace.... The mags and brand new (>6k miles) Yokohama 215/70-15 tires will leave as soon as I've got the new front axle underneath, and can scrounge up a spare for the back~ gotta keep it rollin!

Give me a pressure washer, a nice big fatty jug of Super Clean (Okay, I'll accept Purple Power since it's cost makes up for it's shortfalls in comparison) and a case of beer. I'd have every bit of nasty gunk off that truck in a couple hours, top side and bottom. :D

Give me a pressure washer, a nice big fatty jug of Super Clean (Okay, I'll accept Purple Power since it's cost makes up for it's shortfalls in comparison) and a case of beer. I'd have every bit of nasty gunk off that truck in a couple hours, top side and bottom. :D

Got a pressure washer and a jug of the purple stuff~ will have the beer here by the time you arrive.... lol.gif

Could use some help getting the body off anyway~

I dont think I have ever seen an automatic 521...!!! Pretty cool!!!

It did make life easier around town~ but an auto with 4.37's gets old goin down the road very much. When the transformation's complete it'll be an auto once again~ with OD and four wheel drive...

It looks like a nice enough truck to start with, heck ... it's much cleaner than my old 620. LOL

When the transformation's complete it'll be an auto once again~ with OD and four wheel drive...

I like the sound of that (chassis swap or full custom?) ... either way, looking forward to seeing your progress.

It looks like a nice enough truck to start with, heck ... it's much cleaner than my old 620. LOL

I like the sound of that (chassis swap or full custom?) ... either way, looking forward to seeing your progress.

No chassis juggling on this one~ frame-off, Samurai front axle, Dana 44 rear, 4.3 v6, 700R4, NP241 tx-case. No trailer queens in this corral~! It'll be built to look like a factory truck~ no monster lift/tires/etc. I build for function before form~ but still appreciate great form. This is gonna be my work truck for the next 50 years.... Thanks for the interest

No chassis juggling on this one~ frame-off, Samurai front axle, Dana 44 rear, 4.3 v6, 700R4, NP241 tx-case. No trailer queens in this corral~! It'll be built to look like a factory truck~ no monster lift/tires/etc. I build for function before form~ but still appreciate great form. This is gonna be my work truck for the next 50 years.... Thanks for the interest

Pulled the Sammy axles, rebuilt 4.3, and 700R4 out of mothballs tonite. Removed rear springs/tires to sell rear axle, cleaned up front to prep for install. Soaked the piss out of every body/suspension bolt on the truck I could lay my eyes on with penetrant, repeat and wait, repeat and wait, repeat and.... dry.gif

Automatic is pretty cool. That was not a factory option for the 521.

Yes, it was nice~ just not for the open road without earplugs~! My new setup will replace the stock 4.37's with a Dana 44 3.73's, and a .7 OD for a final drive of 2.61 w/ 26" tires. This might end up a bit low in rpm's~ so a possible upgrade to 4.56's with taller tires to tweak the rpm's into place may be in order down the road. Just have to wait -n- see how the motor likes 2200. In the mean time~ Prepping for heart transplant, face & butt lift, and bionic (4x4) legs

DSC00275.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Once I was thinking of something like this, but a 620 project with a swap.

A Jeep CJ-6 has a similar wheelbase and track - it might swap nicely?

I won't be the one to try it, but someday someone might. Who knows

I have gone through a number of 4.3 motors, I think they are great!

They are like a 3/4 version of the infamous small block Chevy 350.

Going with 26" tall tires (close to stock alright) will you use 15" rims?

I'm going to enjoy watching this project, keep us posted.

Going with 26" tall tires (close to stock alright) will you use 15" rims?

I'm going to enjoy watching this project, keep us posted.

Yessir~ 15's it is. I want to (try to) keep this looking and riding like a factory job~ no big-n-wides, bodylifts, etc.. 521's are as narrow as a Samurai and 70's and earlier narrow Jeeps~ able to wiggle thru tight spots. Not only do big-n-wides ruin the lines, but they also wreak havoc with aerodynamics, and they are themselves four big flywheels~ effecting acceleration, braking, handling characteristics. My goal is a small and nimble little truck~ with enough backbone to get the job done!

• 3 months later...

Well, it's been a while since I posted~ cuz it's been while since I've had the chance to work on Reincarntion. I won't bore you with pics of a 521 with the motor out~ I think most of us know what that looks like. What we have here today is laughable, and only serves to reinforce what I've been ranting on for nearly four decades; I think there should be a test before people are allowed to buy tools~ especially welders~!

:fu: :hairy: :excl: = cryptic for F**king caveman~!

123107013.jpg

123107015.jpg

123107012.jpg