240mm pressure plate

EricJB

What is the OEM 240mm pressure plate with the most clamping force that will fit in a dogleg? I dont really trust the chart in the Honsowetz book, I was going to have my NAPA guy get me one, but not sure which one.

720 truck

240sx

Zcar

Or are they all the same? thanks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

from datzenmike ,,, read first :) ---> http://www.the510rea....php?f=2&t=5666

Eric currently in my 240z,,, I have a 1982 280zx 2+2 5spd drivetrain ,,, 240mm clutch (OEM) ,,, I love the clamping force in my current 240mm (OEM) clutch from factory ! 130,000 org miles ,,,, and the sucker never slips behind my N/A L28 :D ,,,,, the 280z coupes had 225mm clutches ! ( Very Noticeable difference between the 225mm and 240mm ! I have ran both behind same engine ! )

I am assuming my clutch is the same as a 1982-1983 280zxt ( assuming ! )

nicoclub discusses white bunny ---> http://forums.nicocl...up-t227129.html

Rock Auto (240mm)

280z/280zx 2+2 (1975-1983)

Datsun 720 (1983-1986)

Nissan D21 (1986-1994)

Thanks for the info. After reading everything I can find, and digging through my shop, here is what I have discovered. DatzenMike is correct (again) the z24 720 truck is 240mm. That is what I have. But mine only has 6 bolts holding the pressure plate on instead of 9 from the Z car. So there is two different 240mm flywheels. So I am guessing the Z car PP is out for me. It appears I am limited to the truck. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'm not aware of a 9 bolt PP used on the 240mm flywheel. (or any PP) I looked up both 240mm clutches and they only list 6 bolts. Even the 300zx turbo only uses 6 bolts.

The 240mm '83-'86 VG30ET PP # 30210-P9600 with 600 Kg or 1,323 pounds of clamping force, will fit any 240mm flywheel. I do however believe that the zx flywheels were lighter at around 21 pounds, the truck may be heavier at 29pounds. I have a 29 pound one.

Thanks Mike. I was reading something late last night where a guy was having problems mating a Z car pp to a fywheel. I must have read it wrong. That Nicoclub link above, the pic sure looks like 9 bolts. I started thinking about dropping the Z pp over the pins and redrilling the holes. Would be nice if it bolted up.

Is the 280 2+2 pp really 1700lbs like the Honsowetz book says? It's probably overkill, but I am running ladder bars, slicks,and welded spiders, so it needs to be. My 720 flywheel was 21lbs. At least thats what was in the truck when I got it. I chucked it up in a CNC lathe at work. It's now 16.4lbs. Thanks for the help.

I have a 10lb fidanza 240mm flywheel and a 2+2 clutch and pressure plate from MSA and it's done awesome hasn't slipped once and I can chirp the tires (215/70/14 cheapo tires) going into second gear and I dynoed about 150 rwtq. I believe the turbo guys use the 240mm setup with no slippage as well and you can get centerforce parts too. I have heard bad things about spec clutches on high horsepower l28et's.

Also the zcar 240mm pressure plate does have 9 bolts but I could only use 6 on the fidanza flywheel hasn't given me any problems and I had checked it after a few hundred miles when replacing the rear main seal a while back. It takes a lot of abuse too keeping up with my buddies foxbody. B)

Hey Ratty, that flywheel is way too light for that big heavy car. Since I'm such a nice guy I will trade you for a stock one ha ha. So if your fywheel is a six bolt, and your p plate is nine, did the pins and all six bolt holes line up? Or did you have to drill something? If I only have to drill and tap three holes, piece of cake. As long as the pins line up.

If the true 1700lb 2+2 pp is obsolete, I wonder what MSA is selling disguised as one. I bought a ton of stuff from them several years ago and got "suprised" a few times. If it will push your 2+2 around it will work for me. Thanks for the feedback.

That's my point. I would trust the factory PP but after market anything could be substituted and will work. As top the nine bolt was it the flywheel with 9 holes or the PP?? Could be the 9 hole PP is for several applications maybe for a Mazda or something. Pretty sure the Nissan ones are 6.

Aftermarket pressure plates are like a box of chocolates. You never know what your going to get. Good to know Mike. Sometimes you have to hit me over the head with a 2x4 before it sinks in.

Here's the 21 lb 240mm 720 4x4 flywheel.

6 holes...3 dowels

cl22.jpg

Exedy clutch..(made in Japan)....rated at 319 ft lbs of torque, which equates into.......a lot of clamping force :D

cl33.jpg

If I jump in my other truck with the stock clutch....it feels....like....well.... there's no clutch installed, big difference between the 2

Hey Ratty, that flywheel is way too light for that big heavy car. Since I'm such a nice guy I will trade you for a stock one ha ha. So if your fywheel is a six bolt, and your p plate is nine, did the pins and all six bolt holes line up? Or did you have to drill something? If I only have to drill and tap three holes, piece of cake. As long as the pins line up.

If the true 1700lb 2+2 pp is obsolete, I wonder what MSA is selling disguised as one. I bought a ton of stuff from them several years ago and got "suprised" a few times. If it will push your 2+2 around it will work for me. Thanks for the feedback.

I need to change my username I had to get rid of my 280z 2+2 because I couldn't title it, Its in my 260z coupe now biggrin.gif . All I had to do was line the pressure plate up with the pins and the 6 holes lined up. Basically three bolt holes didn't line up with the pressure plate so I didn't put bolts in those 3 holes. I did some research on hybridz.org before I ran it like that and everyone else does it the same way without any problems. This is also only a issue with the Fidanza flywheel I have heard, using a different aftermarket flywheel or a stock flywheel shouldn't have this problem.

Otherwise the 2+2 isn't really heavy at all I've seen them come in a 2600lbs with just a few interior bits removed. I haven't weighed my 260z but I'm guessing 2300-2500lbs at most.

MSA sent me a Exedy Clutch and Pressure plate I don't remember the specs, I might still have the boxes around.

Stock 240mm flywheels in the Z cars have 9 bolts in the flywheel for the Pressure plate. the 225mm Flywheel in the Z cars had only 6 bolts in the flywheel for the Pressure plate. All the Z cars had 6 bolts in the flywheel for the crank if that clears some confusion.

NAPA is out anyways. He didn't come up with much. Who knew that buying a clutch would be such a "shell game".

Hey Sealik, where did you get the Exedy stuff? Do you have the part #'s?

NAPA is out anyways. He didn't come up with much. Who knew that buying a clutch would be such a "shell game".

Hey Sealik, where did you get the Exedy stuff? Do you have the part #'s?

I believe this is it....bought mine off Ebay though, same price.

http://www.jdmhub.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=7_84_35578&product_id=99569

Rated for 255 ft lbs of torque....seems it has few different ratings, my info stated 317

But....clamping force is 2017 lbs

exedyclutch.jpg

Edited by Sealik