need help!! ka24e timing issue(??)

onefine,fivedime

How's it going guys! So. My. 510 is almost back on the streets! =) bt im having an issue. And I can't find a solution. =( my timing was originally. 180 out. So. I. set it at tdc. With the o* mark. Then pulled the chain off the cam gear and clocked the cam at 12 o clock ( in relation to the top of the head) then I pulled the oil pump and lined up the indent with the oil hole and the backwards d was facing towards the front of the motor. But not exactly at 12 o clock it was a lil off. But I put the dist. In and it was facing cylinder #1 so I figured it was close enough. The damn thing wont idle at all. It still sounds out of time. And I can't let it drop past 1k rpm or it'll die. The biggest problem is after 30 seconds of running the header is GLOWING RED!!! I assume that's not good at all! The only led code the ecu is throwing is air intake temp sensor but my harness doesn't have the wires. I've been told. That. It doesn't need it to run normal. True or false? Also. I think the motor was originally an a/t. The tps. Has two plugs off of it.... does that matter now that im m/t? Any help would be appreciated. Since im trying really really hard to take it to. The I.e. datsun meet in mo valley! Help me make it!! =)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my timing was originally. 180 out.????????????

was this running before you did the mentioned above stuff???????

timming 180 out then it wouldnt run, But the dizzy maybe be 180 off from the orginal location but that really dont matter unless you want the vac adv in a different spot.the move the plug wires on the cap as the cap only goes on one way(indexed) Long as you have a plug wire you call number 1 and its right on at top dead center and its in the center of the timming plate then it pretty uch should run. 1 3 4 2 Counter clock wise fire order.

why did you pull the chain off and move the cam gear?

Im not a KA expert but assume this is the early type like the L motor with the dizzy out the top.

i would buy a timing chain kit redo the probably broken nissan guides. the chain only goes on one way. setting the distributor drive can be tricky. was you're distributor pointing at #4 at tdc? before you messed with it

at banzai510: ive never ran the motor till now.. i bought it like that.. i tried to start it and it wouldnt fire up. a ffriend said it was 180 out and swapped the spark plug wires around and sure enough it fired up. but was still out of time . so i did said work and discover that when the 0* mark is lined up and the dist. faced cylinder #! the cam was facing 6 o clock instead of 12. so i pulled the chain off to reset the cam to 12 o clock.

@ h5wagon: thanks, i cant count how man times ive done it and it still doesnt fix it.. thats why i feel its something else.. every time i reset everything at tdc i pull of the valve cover and its all lined up still =/

@ sinnful: thanks! let me know! =)

@ philcas1987: .... i reall dont wana pull the motor apart if i dont have too =(

TDC is TDC. What makes it the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke is the cam position or the position of the #1 valves. You had it running so you were close just throw a timing light on and set the advance or what ever you do to time a KA.

You say the cam was at 6 o'clock and should be at 12???? Are you thinking of the L cam where the lobes have to be up for the valves to be closed??? KAs are opposite... they have to have the lobes down for the valves to be closed. If it was running why turn the cam 180??? That surely will stop it working.

Was the engine apart? Was the head off at one time?? Otherwise there's no reason to think that the cam is miss timed.

sorry guys i think they way i talk sometimes.. jumpy lol in the FSM it says at 0* tdc the cam notch should face 12 0 clock and the dimple at 3 o clock..

like so ( this is after i adjusted it)

timing.jpg

this is where im at with the distributor

timing2.jpg

and this is where the gear shaft sits.. supposed to be at 12 o clock like the l series but i cant get it there =/

timing3.jpg

but is the gear shaft enough to make it run nasty like that?

when you time it with the gun did you follow the fsm? it has to be you. the engine couldn't run shitty all its life. ive had some trouble stabbing that distributor drive. also one thing to not is to know what distributor you have the caps fit but you have to have the right cap.

with the cam gear just like the picture is the crank pulley where its supposed to be? after ive spun the engine a fey time it was difficult to get the dots and link to line up again. but the link count was spot on. you might be going off the links at the cam gear but the crank is off. throwing everything off. then the only remedy is to take it apart and set it right veryfing crank at cam gear

i havent put a timing gun to it because it would only stay running on its own for about 10 seconds if i turned the distributor all the way to the right (not sure if thats full retarded or advanced) and it still didnt sound right. hmmm.. ill have to found out about the caps because i have an extra motor and was stealing parts from it, cap being one of them (it looks brand new,and its a nissan one)... ive never had more than the valve cover off so i dont know where the crank pulley sits...=/ but i assumed it was right since piston #1 sits at tdc... but that would make WAY more sense since i know i have everything else where it should be. ....i just get nervous when taking apart motors cuz theyre out of my comfort zone. but my dd cressida blew the headgasket and i couldnt afford to pay to get it done, so i did it myself. 6,000 miles later it still runs like a champ =) so im capable.

the photo of the cam sprocket. if that what it is supposed to be at TDC. then I think you got it. Just make sure the crank is at Zero.

put the oil pump in as the FSM says. but you can always manipulated it to point where you want it. Long as YOU assign the plug wires. Then make the adjustmenttimming plate in the center of its movment and it should start up.

The brite lonk on th chain are for intaial linning it up. Youll have to spin it around about 5-8 times before it lines back up.

Bu I just turn the motor counter clock wise a little then turn the crank slowly back to TDC then look at the cam position and the marks that you need to look at. I dont know KAs but there should be a cam position mark up top soemwhere.

Only thing here is we are a little confused as being off 180deg. Ok Maybe the plug wires were off 180. No big deal. But a cam off 180 is a big deal and would smash a valve ir somthing . So I cant belive its off as the motor would sping only one rev and it should lock up. Thats why ones hould sping the motor around by hand to make sure this dont happen once assembled.

My vid I posted is only for the basics and linning up the oil pump. I dont know how a KA head works so as datzenmile said its oppesite. the the timming of it should be the same and corralate it with our FSM

sorry guys i think they way i talk sometimes.. jumpy lol in the FSM it says at 0* tdc the cam notch should face 12 0 clock and the dimple at 3 o clock..

like so ( this is after i adjusted it)

this is where im at with the distributor

and this is where the gear shaft sits.. supposed to be at 12 o clock like the l series but i cant get it there =/

timing3.jpg

but is the gear shaft enough to make it run nasty like that?

It looks like you are out about 2 teeth.....?

Pull the pump...when I install one I put the spindle in the pump at about 11:50.

I then line up all the mounting holes on the pump to the holes on the lower TC cover.... exactly how it will sit on the engine. I then slide it in slowly...no deviation. Once the spindle hits the skew gear on the crank, it turns it (spindle) CW to the proper setting...11:58

Works every time....and usually on the first attempt

IT RUNS!@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yup it was the oil pump shaft! i ignored the marks and just tried till i had it where i thought it would work! and viola! it runs! will post pics/videos soon! =) i.e. datsun meet here i come!

Yea every time I have tried with the marks on a L series Im usually out like 90 degrees. So I just forget about it and do it til it looks right.

Good job! Must be great being able to drive your car again.

In my vid it will show a dot/dimple on the pump and on the spindal to line it up then insert in front cover. should come out perfect. Or 1 tooth off. But ck.

If you just insert it till it come out in the correct position it still could be 180 off the last time you had it in there as the dizzy itself only goes in one way. so then you have to move the plug wires 180 which will still work

In my vid it will show a dot/dimple on the pump and on the spindal to line it up then insert in front cover. should come out perfect. Or 1 tooth off. But ck.

Yup...use to use those dimples for alignment...pretty much 'foolproof'

Have a couple new pumps now...no dimple