l14 bluebird sedan miss/bogg when take off

Leach

second time this has happened to me since ive owned the car,

car runs beautifully and then all of a sudden at take off it has like a missfire and boggs down.

its an L14, just like an L16 just smaller crank, running stock hitachi 2bbl carb, with original aircleaner.

can anyone tell me why this might be and what it is i should be checking for

it idles fine and runs great at high rpm its just under load from stopped it boggs out and doesnt want to go anywhere as soon as i get to a high rpm in second gear it runs perfect again.

the first time i just let the car sit for a few days and after that it ran perfect for like 3 months till now.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So it works fine at times and at others it doesn't? I had a small flake of crap (casting??) below the primary jet and sometimes (usually after hitting a large bump) it would get sucked up and stick against the jet partially blocking it and ruining any performance. If you could get it revved up into the secondary it ran ok. All I could do was stop and shut it off count to ten (to let it settle down) start and be on my way. The only cure was to remove the carb and unbolt the little primary 12mm 'drain plug' just below the front sight glass. When the gas ran out onto a rag, out came this little flake of aluminum. Never did it again.

This happened to me several times. In my case it was dirty fuel bowl. There was little bits of stuff/water/dust in the fuel bowl -- stuff that got past the fuel filter somewhow. Each time I drained it using the external 12mm plugs, then it would run fine for a few months. The tank must have flushed out because after 9 months it stopped happening.

distributor is EZ to ck for looseness, but once loose it will do it all the time.

I would look more at the carb. Tana had this same proplem with her stock carb hitachi on a 521. run good then bad ,I also thought it was the dizzy but ckedand swapped in a a weber ran good

Do you think I should just slapp on a, set off dual 40s I have?

can my motor handle dual 40s?

Sure dual 40s are good for small engines. How good depends on the venturi size. Some 40s have small venturis and some have large venturis.

But it may not solve the problem.... better to test it first, confirm the problem. But if you really want the 40s, now is the time to do it.

The carb is a nikki not hitachi

Looking for a good mechanic in long beach ca area to take a look at her

I cleaned the carb and its still doing it, I took apart the whole bowl and it still happening

And nvm about the 40s there dual 44s that I have and I think there too big for a 1.4

No I have dual 48s for the fj20

I cleaned the carb and its still doing it

Well there is more than one cause for that symptom. air leak (vacuum leak) can do it. Even a worn distributor shaft could do it.

As for the carburetor, check for correct accelerator pump working at very low throttle openings -- or just slap the 40s on.

• 2 weeks later...