engine bay, some OIC's of my 510, L16

510Alston72

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Written by zacktheimpaler-

So for some reason after driving the hour back with this little guy, the next morning the battery was drained. New alternator, wires hooked up, everything grounded correctly. We jumped it and he started right up, didn't leave him on long enough to recharge the battery enough to start again.

Soooo......where do we begin troubleshooting?

I left on some of the dash controls like heat, but not the lights overnight. Obviously the car wasn't running but would that for some reason keep power going through and drain it?

Shit man this makes me look bad, I thought I had this issue fix (reason why there is a new battery, alternator and voltage regulator). What I found the issue before to be was actually none of what I replaced! The voltage regulator apparently goes through the ignition switch, so if something is wrong with it, your alternator won't charge. I pulled the switch (electronic part on the back of the tumbler your key goes into) and cleaned the contacts, checked the continuity in all positions and put it back it and my alternator started working again! This sounce like the same issue, so you might just need to replace that part.

Shit man this makes me look bad, I thought I had this issue fix (reason why there is a new battery, alternator and voltage regulator). What I found the issue before to be was actually none of what I replaced! The voltage regulator apparently goes through the ignition switch, so if something is wrong with it, your alternator won't charge. I pulled the switch (electronic part on the back of the tumbler your key goes into) and cleaned the contacts, checked the continuity in all positions and put it back it and my alternator started working again! This sounce like the same issue, so you might just need to replace that part.

if you have to replace the alternator or regulator, you might as well go with a later internally regulated one. they work better and depending on the application they may put out more. its very easy to convert the harness to work with the new alternator. like 5 minutes tops. dime quarterly has a write up. it works on b210's too, as i did it to mine without any trouble.

http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/articles/tech_iralt.html

i believe this is the same thing. i ended up using both sites for help as datsun1200 had oics

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Hitachi_LR_Alternator

I would turn the battery around 180 so the positive is towards the back. as it could hit the hood and short out.

Buy a volt meter for the car. I have this. IT works!!!!!!!!!!!

this works great plugs into the cig lighter. Maybe Walmart has them. Doesnt drain the batter either.

http://www.equus.com/Product/Detail/9D1F54B4-F1D3-4C67-827E-91FE755F3483

watch this on battery drain. Use a test light. Everything off!!!!!!!If light ON

try pulling the

Volt Reg connector

Alternator connector/or the red white wire(+output) Diode could be shorted

alarm

stereo

or anything that was added from previos owner.

Plug stuff back in then move on to the next one.

I start pulling the fuses and once the light goes out take note what circut it is. Something in that circut is grounding out. Cause could be something the previous owner added to the circut or manybe a screw going thru a wire harness.

SIMPLE

This car wiring looks pretty good. Just clean it up for now.

Datdoug could look at it ,its a simple fix.