Fresh Clutch Woes--Noobfresh

metalmonkey47

Alright guys, I'm continuing an ignorant, and probably simple problem to this thread, because I don't want to fuck something up on all my fresh new parts.

Fresh clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, etc.

When the clutch pedal is depressed, the pedal is soft and the clutch slips excessively. I have full movement of all the hydraulics, and the clutch is disengaging the flywheel 100%. With the pedal out all of the way, I have LITTLE friction. There is a tiny grab on the clutch, but not enough to hardly move the truck.

The first thing that came to mind is slave cylinder adjustment since it was out of the truck, but that wouldn't explain the excessively soft pedal. Everything internal should be 100% perfect and was triple checked before bolting the transmission back in.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you change or accidentally put the wrong release bearing housing or collar on?

Adjust the slave push rod so there is a small amount of play and try it. You have a new PP and disc on there.

The collar did not change. I put on the new release bearing as identical as it gets to the old one.

The only thing that can cause a soft clutch pedal is the hydraulics. If by soft you mean "mushy" -- if you mean that the pedal goes down further than you think it should, the term is low pedal, not soft pedal.

Hydraulic problems include:

* improper bleeding. Bleed at the master cylinder before bleeding at the slave

* leaking seals internal to the master. Most common symptom is a sinking pedal that goes lower and lower the longer you keep it pressed

After correcting that, do a careful adjustment of the pedal linkage. 1 to 2 mm play at the slave.

Go up under the dash, and adjust the rod out some and see if it violently releases pressure. Master's (at least 100% of the ones I've used/worked on) are finnicky. You want 100% return, and about 1/8" of slop at the pedal pin. This assures that the master cylinder returns 100% and releases all pressure.

It's possible your master has a bad seal, as Ggzilla stated - but if it worked perfectly fine before, I highly doubt this is the case.

Bleed the piss out of it. And make sure you bench bleed the master, because you can't always get the air out by bleeding at the slave. It's possible you have an air bubble stuck in there.

I did mine by removing the mounting nuts off the firewall, and just slightly tilting the master forward so the air can come out the reservoir.

And make sure you bleed the slave quickly, if you don't open the bleeder quick enough, it pushes fluid out but doesn't have enough flow to push the air down. Air will constantly float *up*. You wanna push it all the way down to the slave, and out the bleeder.

I'll go dig through my old HDD, I have a video of the issue I had years ago (like 7 years ago+). The slave master was holding pressure, and when I backed the master adjustment off, it suddenly popped and released pressure. Scared the hell out of me.

Bled the slave, and I have a LITTLE more, but still abnormal slippage.

I got ready to adjust the slave, which I believe is going to do it 100%, and realized that their are no adjustment nuts on the slave blink.gif I have a funny feeling the pushrod got put back in backwards when the slave was bolted back in.

I was just given the day off of work by my awesome boss, so I'm going to find out tomorrow.

The slave is leaking, and I have one in stock at my Autozone so I'm going to just get a new one on tomorrow.

Bled the slave, and I have a LITTLE more, but still abnormal slippage.

I got ready to adjust the slave, which I believe is going to do it 100%, and realized that their are no adjustment nuts on the slave blink.gif I have a funny feeling the pushrod got put back in backwards when the slave was bolted back in.

I was just given the day off of work by my awesome boss, so I'm going to find out tomorrow.

The slave is leaking, and I have one in stock at my Autozone so I'm going to just get a new one on tomorrow.

AND SLAM THAT BULLET ONTO THE GROUND!

Get a Cast Iron Slave Cylinder if you can ! ,,, yup ,,, slave would do it ! :huh: ,,, they go bad quite a bit as you know :mellow:

Check carefully your master cylinder to (sometimes they starve the slave/get clogged or chew up and in turn starve slave ,but doesn't sound like your case) ,,, re-bleed there and back at slave ,,,

Check your hardlines for leaks/hoses for swelling while there ,,, :)