a14 head gasket change info needed!!

spec-bre

Just a thought... If the bore is really over size from wear stock rings may have to big an end gap and leak compression. If buying rings anyway get the next over size and file them down to get a good seal. ???

or if it is more than .010 over then you should get a bigger piston. but then again you said you arent lookin for longevity.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny guy's... Make fun of the poor brokeded downded Datsundd ;P lol jk!

Update! I went ahead and ordered new rings and rod bearings today (all standard size). They will be here in the morning. All the pistons have been pulled, de ringed and cleaned. Cylinders honed (just to say I did so;)), Pin pressed into #4's replacement, and the brake issue I was having was also dealt with.

This is as Ghetto as it gets for a "freshening" of the bottom end of a engine but none the less it is and will be a good learning experience!!! The fact that I am not too concerned about this engine puts an entirely different prospective on it as well as the two fork lift mechanics I have standing over my shoulder say "YOU THINK THAT'S BAD!!!!! Let me tell you about this one Mitsy forklift engine!!!!" lol! I figure the worst that will happen is it will blow up. My gut say's I think it will run better and I might be pleasantly surprised at how well!!!

I'll keep you posted on my results!!!

First L16 rebuild for my 521 in the mid '70s was standard rings, rod and main bearings, pan/head and intake gasket, valve seals. No measuring of any wear areas. Sandpaper the cylinders and assemble. Less than $100 in '70s money. Ran slightly better but stopped using oil.

Here are a couple extra pictures for you before I let you know the results of my GHETTO freshening ;).

PICT0002-2.jpg

PICT0001-2.jpg

Now these pictures are of the cylinders after hitting them with a hone and washing them down. I did nothing more before reassembly.

After the new standard boar rings, and new bearings where added and everything bolted, torqued, set and fluids added it was time to see/hear the results. Spray a shot of either and it fired first try!!!! sounded sooo much better not to mention the lack of smoke blowing out the pvc valve on the intake. I let it run for roughly 40 minuets then took it for a couple spins around the parking lot. Time for some fine tuning on the carb check timing and then the compression test............. Cylinder # 1=150lbs # 2=150lbs #3=150lbs and number 4====================147lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAY BETTER THEN I EXPECTED!!!!

Mind you it is not a race engine and it is geared for the highway but it will see cones tomorrow!!!

Cylinder # 1=150lbs # 2=150lbs #3=150lbs and number 4====================147lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAY BETTER THEN I EXPECTED!!!!

nice. only 20 lbs less than the service manual states and just 5-10 less than mine. thats great considering the condition of the cylinders.

We will see how she stands up to a thrashing tomorrow!! Still has a carb issue but I'm starting to think it might be crap in the fuel system.

a tip i heard from VW trends "if it isnt running right before a race it isnt going to "run out"." unless its a fouled plug or something. then it might. but i have junk in my fuel system and i keep having problems with clogged idle jets.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thank you for this info, I also had a blown head gasket on my 210 wagon, just got it done thanks to this thread. I guess it wasn't such a bad thing since it brought me here. Had no idea so many people loved their Datsuns as much as I love mine.