L20b / Z22 Flywheeel interchange?

Jester

I have been holding on to this dang L20B flywheel for quite a while. It was in the back of one of my old parts trucks. Forgot how damn heavy it was. A couple weeks ago I picked up a Z22S with the flywheel. Didn't even think about the weight. Now last night I'm over at NKL DYM's and he offers we a freshly rebuilt L20B for my wagon.blink.gif Mentioned I would just need the flywheel for L20. NO PROBLEM, I HAVE ONE. I dig out this old rusty L flywheel AND I grab the Z flywheel. HOLY CRAP.....WHAT A DIFFERENCE IN WEIGHT!!!!

Check this out.

IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0167.jpg

Now the L20 has three alignment pins in it

IMAG0168.jpg

And the Z22 only has a place for two. One is gone and the other is broken off.

IMAG0169.jpg

I am thinking of using the Z22 flywheel behind the L20 with the Z22 truck clutch. Any one see a reason this wouldn't work after I have it balanced?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

shouldnt be a problem at all.

i have a 84 z24 flywheel on my 77 l20b.

i went right to the z24 flywheel from an auto trans, so i dont know if theres any difference for the driveablility.

other than that, i think you should be able to use the 240 mm nissan clutch now. use the clutch and PP from the truck the flywheel came from..

good luck man!

• 4 weeks later...

I have been holding on to this dang L20B flywheel for quite a while. It was in the back of one of my old parts trucks. Forgot how damn heavy it was. A couple weeks ago I picked up a Z22S with the flywheel. Didn't even think about the weight. Now last night I'm over at NKL DYM's and he offers we a freshly rebuilt L20B for my wagon.blink.gif Mentioned I would just need the flywheel for L20. NO PROBLEM, I HAVE ONE. I dig out this old rusty L flywheel AND I grab the Z flywheel. HOLY CRAP.....WHAT A DIFFERENCE IN WEIGHT!!!!

Check this out.

IMAG0166.jpg

IMAG0167.jpg

Now the L20 has three alignment pins in it

IMAG0168.jpg

And the Z22 only has a place for two. One is gone and the other is broken off.

IMAG0169.jpg

I am thinking of using the Z22 flywheel behind the L20 with the Z22 truck clutch. Any one see a reason this wouldn't work after I have it balanced?

If the engine side is scalloped like this it weighs about 21pounds. If it's flat across the back it's about 29 pounds. A heavy vehicle like a truck with a small L20B motor would likely have the heavier 29 pound one for storing rotating energy for take offs. Cars specially with 6 cylinders or larger Z22/24 motors might have the lighter ones.

flywheel240mmthreeLarge.jpg

It will work perfectly. If you were using the truck for hauling heavy loads you might notice having to rev and slip the clutch a bit more. What size clutch? 225?