A series goodie's????

K Appley

I'm wondering if its possible to obtain H 89 cylinder heads anywhere for the A series engine??? While at it how about the camshaft that was in the B 210's A 14 engine 75 thru 78. Somewhere I read there were only 2 production cams and these were the better breathing ones????

Hopeing?

Kurt.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The B-210 had two engine options the A13 and A14 both had the same cam in them # 13001-H6200

The B-310 or 210 had three engine options the A12, 14 and 15. The A12 had cam # 13001-H5000

The A14 and A15 had cam # 13001-H6200 (same as the B210)

You may be thinking of the head itself. Some desirable ones have a larger oval shape intake port. Fron 08 '80 on there is a change in the intake and exhaust valve part number... perhaps they are larger??? The guy to talk to about this is Pumpkn210 Also ask him about the MG 1800 head fitting on the A series.

the guy you want to talk to is ggzilla he is the a series guru.

the h89 is jdm only but there are a few floating around the states. the reason the parts numbers changed on the valves is more likely due to the larger coolant ports that were used in later A series heads. those have closed combustion chambers but have small fuel intakes that are impossible to port wider wthout severing the coolant line.

Yes, I've got a H89 head on a car. Its a great head and I'd like to source another. Can you get any of this stuff out of Japan?? A series tech wiki says its JDM but I was hoping it maybe ended up on some oddball here.

On the cams, Datzenmike, I thought that the 210 and 310 from the early 80's (not B210 but front drive 310) at least had a shorter intake duration cam. Also would any of those cams be available today??

Kurt.

BTW, Driven, that's a pretty engine.

As to 1800 MG head on an A series all I can say is WHY???

I do know that Datsun licensed the B series BMC engine from england and it was fitted to some vehicle's in the 60's and I believe it went in some pickups as well.

I knew a guy in the 60's that needed a head for his MGA and claimed he fitted a Datsun head. Bolt on.

The Japanese were good for copying the british car industry but they did something the british would'nt do. They FIXED the problems!!

Kurt.

First person I thought of was Dave but yes... ggzilla for sure for A series

The 310 FWD A14 had the same H6200 cam number but the A15 had 13001-H9800 for the cam. No idea on the specs, only that the larger A15 had a different cam.

Datzenmike, I'm thinking that the A15 out of the 310 produced its power at a lower rpm, least that is what mine does. I'm running a A15 out of a 310 with a H89 head and fed by a single HS6 SU carb. Fitted to a 65 MG Midget. Enough power to satisfy me and 40 MPG. I like it enough that I would like to build another. If I can't find the H89 head I suppose I'll go with a 72 head and flat top pistons if I can source them.

I'm wondering if anyone has a source for this old stuff out of Japan???? I would think this stuff is available except for the language barrier since this engine was still being made for malaisia just a few years ago. I'll see if I can raise ggzilla.

Kurt.

From 1200 site.

20540HeadComparo.jpg

While the 89 and GX heads look similar the intake ports differ in size, H89 intake port 35mm X 29mm. The GX intake ports are 38mm X 30mm Both intake and exhaust valves are different sizes as well with H89 having larger valves and smaller ports. The GX smaller valves and larger ports. The H89 head on my A14 motor has 38mm intake valves and 33mm exhaust valves and ports opened up 37mm X 30mm almost the GX head size intake ports. The intake runners had been ported as well- modified years ago, which is not uncommon on these cylinder heads. Most have been through many hands over the years. The early A12 heads were closed (heart shaped) combustion chamber which they share with these two heads.

I'm currently stripping parts from an old salvage yard that is full of 70's rear drive Japanese cars including several B210's and 210's. Unfortunatly I don't have much time and all of the stuff is going to be crushed in short order. I'm going to try to get a couple of 72 heads. Several 5 speed's that I don't need and don't have the time to pull. Got the 60 5 speeds but there are a couple of 280Z's and several Toyota's with T 50's in them.

Kurt.

• 2 weeks later...

You can buy the "good" A14 cam just about everywhere, even regular auto parts stores. It is not a particularly great cam but it does well and is peppy. An $80 cam regrind will do better, just ask any cam company.

You can buy H89 from Australia eBay or NZ Trademe. Just pay the shipping. They are just like our A14 heads but have minimal emission mods (no air injection passages) and are closed chamber. The compression ratio is the same as the closed chamber heads. To get high compression you can change pistons.

The 1981-1982 engines are different from all others -- these are the H95 shroud-port heads. Closed chamber, small valves and shrouded intake ports for high swirl. They fitted the same heads to A12A, A14, A15. A great low-RPM head and the short-duration cam to match. They have smaller oval ports than the earlier heads. The valves are higher up, so the valve stems are shorter than all other A-series valves. All the changes are for high-swirl so the fuel-economy is good.