nap z bellhousings..

tangent

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 200sx with the Z20E from '80 and '81, with the Z22E from '82 and '83.

The 720 truck with the Z22(S) from '81,'82,'83, with the Z20(S) from '84,'85,'86, with the Z24(S) from '84'85'86, and with the Z24i from '86,'87,'88.

The HL 510's had the same Z series motors around the same years as the 200sx's and were (S) or carb I believe. I don't know the years.

The visual difference between them is the 12-15 degree tilt, or twist between the L and Z series motors. I don't have a picture but they are very easy to tell apart: (I'll assume that the tranny is out, or you could just look at the motor. lol)

Place the tranny on ground in it's up-right operating position, and stand above and behind it at the shifter looking toward the 'engine'. Look along the top of the tranny, along an imaginary center line and follow that line to the beginning bulge of the bell housing. At this point on the bell there is a casting rib or ridge, that continues this center line up to where the back of the motor would be. Now on either side of this rib there is a bolt hole that is used to bolt the tranny to the engine. On the Z series transmission the bolt hole to the right of the rib is closer than the other one. On the L series transmission the bolt hole to the left is closer to the rib than the other one. Confused? Just remember... the rib, when closest to the left bolt hole is L series.... LEFT is L series.

Not a very good picture, but the one on the left is an L series. You can see the rib and that it's closer to the bolt hole on the left if you were looking down the length of it. The rib would closer to the pass. side bolt hole if it was a Z series.

I was asking regarding putting a nap z bell on a 280z tranny and ka truck block like Icehouse did..

found a 91 240sx today at the junkyard and deciding whether to go pull the intake, head, and ecu of the thing and then wait around till i find a KA24e truck to pull the block out of..

then i still have to find a nap z bell and another 280zx tranny cause I dont trust the one that I rebuilt.

then part of me says, hmm why not a V6, why hasnt anyone done this to a 521 yet??

OH AND DATZEN thanks so much for the pics..... If I know what it looks like its that much easier to find it at the yard....

Sorry I had to leave in a hurry and didn't finish. In the picture the right hand tranny is a Borg warner T-5 from a 280zx (technically an L series ). The one on the left is a regular truck or 280z car long tail 5 spd and looks identical to the Z series 5 spd but for the center line rib being closer to the left (driver's) side bolt hole. You can just make out the rib and where the bolt hole would be. As I said the Z series would have the rib over to the right (passenger) side. Just remember 'LEFT is an L' series and you can't go wrong.

For the record,KA bells do NOT fit to a L series tranny.:mad:

Jeff would know more about this, but I think the shifter rods are a different diameter and would be too small on the L?

I need to get a job at JY so I can try all the different combo's.

I was asking regarding putting a nap z bell on a 280z tranny and ka truck block like Icehouse did..

found a 91 240sx today at the junkyard and deciding whether to go pull the intake, head, and ecu of the thing and then wait around till i find a KA24e truck to pull the block out of..

then i still have to find a nap z bell and another 280zx tranny cause I dont trust the one that I rebuilt.

then part of me says, hmm why not a V6, why hasnt anyone done this to a 521 yet??

Just turbo the KA :D You could do a dual cam head from what I've read to, be careful because they say it will raise the compression to around 10.5 this is all second hand knowledge, one of you guys should try it and report your findings back :D

well hopefully soon my friend and i are gonna be pulling the frontier KA24de out of his 510. He wants to put the DE in his 521 pickup now and hes gonna buy a new frontier oil pan instead of the cut up one he created for his 510. Anyway, the point is i can finally have a look back at it again to determine if in fact its a SOHC block. The frontier blocks from what I could tell before were a hybrid of the sohc and dohc. It had main bearing girdle, oil squirters and dished pistons.

If i can determine that its in fact a dohc block then i would suggest to anyone doing the dual cam engine in a pickup to source a front cover from a frontier. You 510 guys dont have a problem with clearance on front sump setup. peace.

If your going with the KA24e block and the KA24de head, it will raise the compression, which is "no bueno" for Turbo..

If you went with the "de" pistons in the "e" block, this would drop the compression, thereby making it more receptive to Turbo??

I know you love the Turbo Ice, but Im not sold.. I want "TORQUE" and alot of it.. Im a carpenter and I keep an assload of tools in the back of that truck, and I love to drive it, I could put my tools in something else and drive it to work, but then I'd never get to drive the datsun.. How can I get some in town "BALLS"

the guy who did the VG30de swap in his 510 had to put rack and pinion in it and then mod the steering colum linkage in order to make room so thats out..

• 2 weeks later...
If your going with the KA24e block and the KA24de head, it will raise the compression, which is "no bueno" for Turbo..

If you went with the "de" pistons in the "e" block, this would drop the compression, thereby making it more receptive to Turbo??

I know you love the Turbo Ice, but Im not sold.. I want "TORQUE" and alot of it.. Im a carpenter and I keep an assload of tools in the back of that truck, and I love to drive it, I could put my tools in something else and drive it to work, but then I'd never get to drive the datsun.. How can I get some in town "BALLS"

the guy who did the VG30de swap in his 510 had to put rack and pinion in it and then mod the steering colum linkage in order to make room so thats out..

The KA24DE and KA24E pistons are the same bore but other than that I don't know what else is similar. The piston pin height might not be the same and you can't use the DE rods with the E crank to correct this.

While the KA24E pistons have a 2.8 cc dish, the Z24 pistons have a 15 cc dish. This would really lower the c/r. Both pistons have the same pin height and rod length and journal diameter.

I calculate that the KA24E with 2.8 dish pistons and 8.4 to 1 c/r has to have a head volume of about 65 cc's.