79 620 KC Vent Leaks

Ron1200

When it rains, water drips from the plastic vent tubes on the end of the dash. It appears that its coming from the holes for the plungers (they open/close the vent).

I searched and found nothing similar. I can't think I'm the only one to have this problem.

Looking for ideas on where to start.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

after this ^^^ have someone hose your truck down while you sit in it. I found my leak that way, it was the firewall grommets.

It helps if they are a good looking girl in a bathingsuit ;) wait, maybe it doesnt.... you want to be looking for leaks in the truck, not checking her out.... guess i just want an excuse to see a good looking, scantily clad woman hose down my truck ;)

"Yeah looks like I need to hose it down...

I removed the cowl to check the holes. I found them to be clear. Nothing was blocking them.

Besides the vent shields that cover part of the vent opening, is there anything else in their to divert the water? It looks like something was attached under the cowl opening at some point.

My 620 does not have fender liners. Could that contribute by forcing the water back into the cowl area?

I can see where it comes out, from the inside of the vent tubes, via the holes for the push-pull rod. This happens on both sides, right and left.

So it's something common to the cowl me thinks. As I'm not even sure the cab is original to the frame, I was wondering if something got left out when it was reassembled. Like maybe a baffle.

• 4 weeks later...

Adding resolution... Just in case someone has the same issue.

The leak did not come from the vents. From looking at them, It would be difficult for water entering the cowl to enter via the vents.

The problem was a poor windshield gasket seal to the glass. Water would work it's way around the glass edge and flow to the corners where it would drip on the inside. Guess where... Right above the side vents. :angry:

I used black RTV silicone to inject a small amount around the edges. This did the trick. :)