Getting ready to start lowering my 71 Wagon

Stubby

Alright, I am sure there is information everywhere about this, but in my laziness I have no time to search for it. I have a front coilover set up ready to go. My question is for the rear. I bought an extra set used leaf springs and a pair of two inch blocks. From my understanding I can add a leaf spring and just flip it to flatten the complete leaf set out. I am also under the impression that I can use the 2 inch blocks and add an additional leaf to stiffen the rear. I like the second option, but I am not sure where to get the small silver dollar looking spacers that go in between the leafs. I am also in need of u-bolts for the blocks. You help is appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've dropped cars both ways. I prefer the leaf shuffle method. My wagon already had 2" blocks in it when I got it or I would have done it. You can really dial the ride height and the only cost is 2 new bolts and your time. I think it's a cleaner look and more stable when done. Blocks work ok and are quicker but I just prefer the other method.

As far as U bolts anything will do as long as the width fits the width of the axle tube, so just measure that and the length. I measured the stock length and added 2" for the block.

I don't think it's a good idea to just simply flip the leaf spring over. I believe the spring should be dismantled and re-stacked with the long spring on top and the other leaves in descending lengths below it. This will better support the vehicle weight. Here's my reasoning... If you simply flip the spring, the long one with the mounts supports the weight. The shorter ones stacked above it are not realyl supporting any weight... they are simply clamped to the top spring with straps in a few places. On a severe bottoming out these straps won't hold against the vehicle weight. They never were intended for this. Better to re-stack them properly

As far as U bolts anything will do as long as the width fits the width of the axle tube, so just measure that and the length. I measured the stock length and added 2" for the block.

I don't think it's a good idea to just simply flip the leaf spring over. I believe the spring should be dismantled and re-stacked with the long spring on top and the other leaves in descending lengths below it. This will better support the vehicle weight. Here's my reasoning... If you simply flip the spring, the long one with the mounts supports the weight. The shorter ones stacked above it are not realyl supporting any weight... they are simply clamped to the top spring with straps in a few places. On a severe bottoming out these straps won't hold against the vehicle weight. They never were intended for this. Better to re-stack them properly

Yeah, I was just going to flip the load bearing leaf. I believe this to be the smaller top leaf in the spring pack. But where can I find the bushing for between the leafs. Is there a part number for these bushings.

• 1 month later...
Guest kamakazi620

@laecaon, That's a good point ... I wonder if there are any disadvantages? is it 4 lug? Definitely would want 4 lug.

All datsun/nissan RWD are 4x114 later 240sx were 5 lug DO WORK MAN!!!!!!!! and as jeff (builder of Wagoon of doom) says its not that hard to install

Yeah, I was just going to flip the load bearing leaf. I believe this to be the smaller top leaf in the spring pack. But where can I find the bushing for between the leafs. Is there a part number for these bushings.

i'm too lazy to look for the Dime Quarterly article about flipping the third leaf for you.

IIRC ~1.25" drop alone and stiffer.

i found some 1.75' blocks for mine.

there are part numbers for everything!

DSCN2271-1.jpg

DSCN2281.jpg

DSCN2278.jpg

DSCN2276.jpg

DSCN2274-1.jpg

Here are some more pics of the wagon. Again it just has a 2" block in the back, but I am using the monroe air shocks at 30psi of air. It raise it up a little when I pumped some air in it. I am planning to do the spring flip also to lower it another inch. I realize I am going to have to do something with the drive shaft tunnel. So, I have some work ahead of me. Until then I am going to raise the front up a little to give it a little more even look.