L-Series head gasket break in?

FiveSeventyZee

I just got my dime running after a month and a half of sitting due to a blown head gasket (I work and go to school full time) but it still smokes out the tailpipes. I'm guessing it's burning out the oil and crap that I couldn't clean out of the cylinders as a result of the blown gasket.

are there any break in procedures I should follow or just drive it? I need the smoke to go away because I have to clear a fix it ticket from excessive smoke.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Smoke:

Blue is burning oil

White is usually a blown gasket and that's coolant steam.

Black is over rich mixture of fuel.

So if this was blowing blue smoke all the time before you changed the gasket then I doubt if it's fixed.

If it was blowing white 'smoke' and you got a ticket for that, you likely have fixed the problem. It may take a few minutes to burn off any oil and coolant left in the cylinders and combustion chamber.

There is no break in procedure for a head gasket. There are however proper procedures for installing and tightening the head. Did you begin tightening in the middle of the head and work your way to the front and back?

does it need to pass a smog test to sign off the excessive smoke ticket ?? cause you could change to full synthetic oil like Mobil one ,,it will still burn oil and stink on acceleration ,, but there arent any organic solids to burn so no real smoke,,the exhaust looks like fuel vapor ,,it will trick the cops at idle ,,and if they are standing right behind it at part throttle it will effect there eyes / nose ,, but no visible smoke

ps this is just a band-aid ,,if the ring are badly warn and smoke it need a rebuild

yeah it was white before. I know it was the head gasket.

and the smoke now is just barely visible white/grey smoke. I think I just need to run it. I only had it on for a few seconds because I was just trying to start it and I had other things to do so I just started it let it idle for a sec then I killed it

how long should I live with the smoke before I question if I got it or not? I took it for a short spin today. really just around the block. maybe 2-3 minutes. and it still smokes a lot. but only under acceleration and sometimes engine braking. at idle it really doesn't do anything

well I let it idle for about 30 min but nothing changed so I took it on a drive for about 30 min of mostly curvy back roads and some freeway. it's all gone now. on a side note I am experiencing some run on now. I'm guessing because of the closed chamber head? I put 89 in it instead of the 87 I used to run. should that help? should I put 91? or am I just wasting my money?

More info. I assumed it was you 280 motor before.

So this is a510 then?

L20B or what?

When you changed the h/g did you put the peanut head on then, (as you have just mentioned it) or did you have it on before?

If you did just put it on, there will be an increase in compression. You can try a higher octane fuel or back the timing off slightly, or both. For best performance and economy you want as much ignition advance possible, but just short of pinging.

If you run SU's you get to learn how to clutch-kill over time. When the issues are gone, IE a new carb setup that doesn't have an issue... you blow your own mind not having to kill it with the clutch, haha!

Make sure your valves are adjusted properly as well. I AM assuming you did this when you put it back together, ya?

yeah it's my L18 in the dime. sorry. my 240 doesn't have an L-series.

and I just put the closed chamber a87 head on. I'll try to change the timing and see where we get. I do have a weber on it so no anti dieseling valve but I've just been clutching it today to kill it it's not too bad. I just never had to do this before with my open chamber u67