Best Cleaner?

dscottdatsun

What kind of cleaner is best for cleaning a 3rd member? I took the diff out of a parts 69 goon to install into my 79 620 to get a little better fwy cruising. I will be swapping the side gears for the 620 axles into the alloy housing. I was going to use brake cleaner then rinse it well with water, but thought I would ask a question so as not to make a big mistake. I will also be putting in a new pinion seal since this goon was sittng in the weeds for a few year. I know this may get into a lot of personal preference, but I don't want to use something that will come back and bite me later.

Scott

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i used 100% simple green and a tooth brush to clean the rear end in my b210 i used a flat head screw driver to chip off all the dirt dobber nests and flick some of the harder grease deposits. it didnt take very long, maybe 2 hours to get it totally spotless so i could paint it. and its biodegradable so if you get it on grass, it doesnt kill it.

I've always heard about doing this swap, but I have never come across a vid or how-to about doing it. If there's other out there....link them up here :)

I'll try to add some more pics to this thread....but I wanted to get the vids uploaded :) It takes a bit more time to load, but it sure is a lot faster than trying to type out all the details!!!

Any diff guys out there....feel free to add info to this thread.

Okay....the jist of this swap is to put truck spider gears into a wgn diff. The axles are two different sizes. The advantage to doing the spider gear swap is that the ring/pinion setup stays the same.....you don't have to re-shim the diff. Here's the vids for starters :)

Seems the audio and video aren't quite synced up right :(

th_Spiders.jpg

th_Carrier.jpg

th_RingTorque.jpg

these

Thanks guys :)

Tripods are pretty cheap. I've stacked boxes to set the camera on before I got the tripod :)

oh...the brake clean was for the gear lube on the diff.....I cleaned the housing in the parts cleaner tank...where I scrubbed and scrubbed....AND I HATE SCRUBBING!!! If I'm going to wear my arms out on a repetitive motion like that, it's going to be while checking the updates on the post-asses thread! LOL!! :D

• Like 1

Ask a thousand people and you'll get a thousand answers. Watched the Ultra One demo, and wasn't wowed by any means. Didn't remove any more than my pressure washer, which is just plain cold water. It seems to work by the pics~ but you know how advertising works. They didn't show any applications of the kind of crud on the diff's outside~ that dried out combo of gear oil and road crud that evolves into something on your pumpkin that deserves it's own place on the Periodic Chart of the Elements. As far as the inside goes, you're basicly just rinsing off the G/L. My preference there lies not just with brake fluid, but carb cleaner as well if the case is really crusty (stained) inside. It costs a bit more, but cleans better. Keep in mind if you use brake cleaner on parts destined for paint, it leaves a residue behind that inhibits good adhesion~ that's where the vinegar comes in! Put some in a squirt bottle, apply liberally to rinse off residues, and let dry. It's especially effective as a paint pretreatment for aluminum.

Specialty products aside, I keep five readily available (and relatively cheap) products on hand for all my cleaning needs:

Diesel, WD-40, paint thinner, vinegar, and just plain ol' hot soapy water.

When all's said-n-done, without a doubt THE best cleaning agent is free~ elbow grease!

Peace~

Scott

Purple power works wonders. Izzo gave me a motor with gunk at getting up to 1/2" deep in places. Spray on, wait 5 minutes, wash off. Repeat as necessary. A few spots needed a bit of a wire brush, but simple green didnt touch it nor did my favorite orange cleaner I use on everything.

Motor cleaned:

SNC11140.JPG

And when it was dirty:

IMG_20110505_195230.jpg

tempjpg.jpg

Purple power works wonders. Izzo gave me a motor with gunk at getting up to 1/2" deep in places. Spray on, wait 5 minutes, wash off. Repeat as necessary. A few spots needed a bit of a wire brush, but simple green didnt touch it nor did my favorite orange cleaner I use on everything.

Motor cleaned:

SNC11140.JPG

And when it was dirty:

IMG_20110505_195230.jpg

tempjpg.jpg

oh i completely forgot about purple power. that stuff is THE SHIT. me and my dad used it to clean a 4.0 jeep motor we were putting in our cherokee. if you have ever worked on one of those, you know that they probably leak more oil than any other motor known to man. if it cuts jeep crud, it HAS to be good.

^^^This. I've used it for years. Best thing to do is get the big 4gal(?) container and put it into a sprayer like you'd put a weed-killer into. Hose the victim down, and let it soak. Repeat, then take to a pressure washer and have at it. If any remains, repeat procedure. Minimal effort/cost required for great results.