1968 Datsun 510 Front Turn Signals

SSSEXXX

So some of you know I just picked up a 1968 Datsun 510 4 door. I had picked up some 70-73 NOS front turn signal lamp lights and now realize that they' are bigger for the post '69 models. My bad, but I like the bigger lamps.

Is it a relatively easy swap? I assume I need 70+ lamp assemblies to fit the lenses I bought over.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The wholes in the radiator core support are smaller because the 68-69 light assemblies are smaller and the lenses are smaller so the valence is different

... . a genuine 68 is worth alot ,,, , just find some cheap(ish) used 68-69 lenses ....... and not the Tailand ones........ ;)

68 and 69 are the same size valance has smaller cut out area as well as the core support could be different Keep it a 69 its more rare

I will have to check but i might have some extra front lenses

best bet is to keep the 68 stock and go get a 70 - 73. It is your car in the long run but 68's are rare and you might be kicking yourself in the ass down the road.

Normally I would just shrug my shoulders and say "hey, its my car," but with so many members that I respect and who have helped me along the way it is hard to ignore the warnings. The '68 is really pretty complete too. It needs body work and a paint job, but otherwise it is quite solid. Decisions, decisions....

It doesn't help that it is also a CA black plate car with solid original trunk and floor boards, and a near new set of seats... ARGH!!! So conflicted...

Normally I would just shrug my shoulders and say "hey, its my car," but with so many members that I respect and who have helped me along the way it is hard to ignore the warnings. The '68 is really pretty complete too. It needs body work and a paint job, but otherwise it is quite solid. Decisions, decisions....

It doesn't help that it is also a CA black plate car with solid original trunk and floor boards, and a near new set of seats... ARGH!!! So conflicted...

sounds good that you are making a good effort on contemplating cutting it up.

So, I have an almost completely factory OEM looking '68. I want to modify it and tweak it. Should I sell it and get a '70-'73? Do you think I could get $6,500 for it? Pictures in my build thread....

Link to Build Thread Here on Ratsun

I am legitimately conflicted about this one and more and more people tend to suggest not changing it. In fact, no one has said "do what you want and have fun with it." That usually means something.

If I can't sell it for $6,500, I'll just keep it either as is and restore it or mod it how I originally planned.

I would have a hard time cutting that car. Yes, usually by now someone would have said "do what you want". But it is a 68 that looks quite complete and factory, still has its black plates.

Not sure if that price is too expensive in socal. Other thing is, who will buy it? Someone else with dreams of an SR dime? Right now you have shown great attention to detail. The car seems fine in your hands. But if it was possible to sell it to someone who would drive the car as is pretty much, and you picked up a 70-73 that seems to be what you want.

I just couldnt take off 68 parts from the car, like the dash or valence lights.

Yeah, I think the purist in me or at least the guy with OCD is having a serious inner struggle right now. How do you take something so rare and mess with it you know?? But I do know what I had intended. The best laid plans of mice and men.

Maybe the best plan is to have the body work done, get it painted and complete a factor restoration. If I still want to get creative after that then it was truly meant to be, but if I don't want to screw up a great thing I will still have the option.

I would have traded you my 72 for it but you are too far away.

You can still drop in the SR and do suspension mods, just make it to where everything can be undone. This is how I did my car. I have the original crossmember and a modified one. I have the stock fuel tank and soon to be modified one. You can keep all of your stock parts like the steering wheel, struts, rear shocks, and replace them with modified versions.

Thanks Dennis...

I think that may in fact be the route I take.

I would be lying if I didn't say that I have already grown attached to the car.

I did order a NOS front valence fascia for a '70+ model, like you said though, it is a pretty easily swapped out and non-permanent mod... Best of both worlds no?

Thanks Dennis...

I think that may in fact be the route I take.

I would be lying if I didn't say that I have already grown attached to the car.

I did order a NOS front valence fascia for a '70+ model, like you said though, it is a pretty easily swapped out and non-permanent mod... Best of both worlds no?

When I lived in SOCAL and NORCAL, 510's were a dime a dozen (pun intended) except for 68's and 69's. I always wanted the 73's. I almost always ended up with a 71. Out here you are lucky to see one for sale every 6 months and it is snatched up so quickly it is incredible. They also seem to get swapped around from one owner to another and making back to the original, or going to one of the neighboring states. We have had one on CL for a month or two but the guy must be on crack @ 15k for a 2k car. Right now we have one on CL but it is from CA. LOL!!!!

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/2619195031.html