1978 datsun dolphin housecar

Hi, datsun lovers community, just picked up a 1978 datsun dolphin housecar has the L20 motor and is on a 620 pickup chas. runs but not great, was only running on1- 3 cyl.'s and had spark at the plug so i removed the valve cover and found that the rocker on the #4 cyl had fell off. so i put it back on and now it runs alot better. was wondering if anybody knows what may have caused this because i'm afraid it may happen again. i'm currently going to do valve adjustments and see if that will help. also the carb seems pretty complicated. really want to fix (pimp) this thing up nice and was looking for any and all knids of input on how to get more horse power out of it and general machanical information i can find. plan on posting picts. of it soon, also cant find much info on it and was wondering if this thing is rare or something. its pretty clean for the year. but needs plenty of work. it has 81k miles. was thinking it may have come stock with a rv cam or something. just alot of questions with not alot of places to get answers hence comming here. any help would be greatly appreiciated.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pictures of it may help. What's the build date? see the door jam tag. I don't suppose it has dual wheels on the back? Would that be a 4 speed?

There were Cab Chassis options from Jan '78 that had no beds installed and were intended for custom work boxes, cube vans and camper conversions, but the motors were the same as the cars and any other 620 truck. There were no factory 'RV' cams used, they were all the same motor wise. The camper had a stiffer rear spring, front sway bar standard equipped, different fuel tank, electric fuel pump, 4 speed only stuff like that.

Upload the pics to a site like Photobucket that gives you a direct URL. Copy that url (has to end in a file extension like .jpg) and when you're making a post/reply, click the little picture of the tree icon two to the right of the smiley icon.

This icon: picture.png

Then paste the url into the box that pops up.