pulling my L20 out, wanna give me pointers?

510 Bomber

so the bomber is leakin like a bitch. i got a hold of a cherry picker. so next best thing is to replace all the seals. ive helped pull motors out of other cars. but this will be my first by myself. with the help of friends. will also be painting some parts. just to spice things up. so help me out. that will mean alot. thanks

also, gonna miss the cruz saturday.....BUMMER

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol. not really any pointers to give. unhooked everything, unbolt the trans and motor from motor mounts, remove the rad, out she comes! Dont forget to prop the trans up... I pulled my first motor a month ago, out one came, shoved another one in right after it came out. its easy and once you do it, you'll laugh that you made this thread.

I assume this is a standard??? Best to remove the motor and trans together. So have front end up high so the tailstock can drop down when tilting the motor up to lift out.

1/ Remove battery cables from battery, ground cable from the head.

Drain cooling system and remove rad.

Drain oil.

Unbolt exhaust down pipe from manifold.

Remove the two heater hoses, one from the head and one from the lower rad inlet to the block. Tie out of way

Remove air filter housing and cover the carb so shit does not get in there.

Disconnect the throttle cable, tie out of way. Tie out of way

Disconnect the large vacuum hose to the brake booster. Tie out of way

Disconnect the distributor and temp sender wires and tie out of way.

Unplug the (red) idle cut solenoid and (blue) auto choke heater wires.

Remove the vacuum hose to the charcoal canister.

If equipped with air pump disconnect the hose to the filter on the fender.

Disconnect the fuel line at the inlet to the pump and tie out of way. Gas may siphon so watch it.

Disconnect the fuel return line (if equipped)

Disconnect the alt. wiring... what's that ? sparks?? Now go back to the first thing (1/) and do it!

Unbolt starter and tie out of way or remove wiring and remove for more room.

Remove oil pressure sender wire.

If you feel up to it and just want to remove the motor ignore the rest.

Remove driveshaft.

Remove shifter

Drain transmission

Disconnect reverse light wiring

Disconnect the speedo cable

Unbolt slave from transmission and wire up out of way. Tape or tie the pushrod so fluid does not push it out.

Support transmission

Unbolt the rear tranny mounts.

Unbolt the motor mounts

Lift out checking for something obvious that I forgot like a small ground strap from the back of the exhaust manifold to the firewall..

so the bomber is leakin like a bitch.

also, gonna miss the cruz saturday.....BUMMER

So why not just cruise that leeky bastard one last time before end of summer..............then pull motor.

But on topic i thought this was an automagic , if so don`t drain trans. smile.gif

haha i'm kind of going through that a little right now. I pulled everything out of my engine bay and did take pictures before i started painting. I used my phone, then my phone got water dumped on it while I was on vacation, destroyed EVERYTHING. I saved the pics to the phone and not my SD card like a numbnut.

Well I kept the wires marked with either letters or numbers and a matching letter or number for the corresponding part. So if I took out something that had 5 different wires coming from the same area I would mark 1-5 on the wires, then 1-5 on where they went. I

YES TAKE PICTURES, i regret not taking pictures of how the engine bay was before i painted/ removed engine. also make a list of where wires go, unless you are the expert in Datsun and can tell me where a Black with Yellow stripe wire goes...(Mike...) ollz

UPDATE.

i took pictures on my phone like the impaler, but i have an indestructable phone. so i pour water on it to clean it. BOOM, i win. doesnt take the best pics, but i dont lose them

took the motor out lastnite. doesnt help when u have 2 friends that dont know anything bout cars help you. ohh well its out.

0926112143a.jpg

it was dark lastnite. so i enhanced it on photobucket, kinda starting to love that site.

0926112143.jpg

then i decided to get all that grim and oil off. so i used oven cleaner and grease lighting and set over night

0926112144.jpg

0926112142.jpg

didnt do a bad job. i wish i could take my motor out of my garage and pressure wash. but i have a datsun with its tranny being held up by a jack stand in my way....so oven cleaner will do that job.

0927111146.jpg

i guess my motor is blue. kinda weird, since the original paint of the car is redish orange.

but everything went fine. the exhast was a bitch, just had to try to cut it off and the vibrations of the saw got it off. heheheheh. then shaking the motor loose was kinda hard, but it got out. now its time to take everything off, real seal it. paint it GOLD, and put it back together. post somemore tonite. this is my lastday to get it done.....untill next weekend....

Well the blue part is factory. It's a slightly green tinted blue, looks good IMHO. Means it's never been tanked!

Castrol SuperClean will be your friend btw, it melts grease like white on rice. Spray it on, leave it there for a couple minutes, spray some more, pressure wash it off. Works great (and slightly etches aluminum, so be careful. Cleans aluminum bits up nicely though!)

Btw, a 2.5 gallon jug of Purple Power (Works pretty much just as good as Castrol SuperClean) is like $11 + change at Wal Mart. So it's cheaper than Simple Green and works better too.

Do this outside, btw. It makes one HELL of a stink if you'rs in an enclosed area.