Catchin some z's

RedBanner

my dad has helped me with my cars any and every time ive needed help since I was.. 15? Anyways he has recently syraying from the dark side (he dailys a homda : point and laughf) and bought a z

2011-09-14160946.jpgHe called me from pnp and said there was a 240 that runs and drives for sale (soon to be for parts) when we got there it was a suprize to fin out it had a 350 in it. Not only in but running and tuff too it has to be built ibv drove to many sbc cars to think its stock, 2011-07-02173616.jpg

It does have some rust but not to bad. Things insainly fast.

Well then he started gather parts, and then another z for a parts car. But then, on a hot summers eve he called and askes if id check out a z with him, a 76 280 6cyl. Of fuckin course I will I said and we went to see .the beast2011-09-13193918.jpg

2011-09-13193930.jpg

2011-09-13194032.jpg

2011-09-14191550.jpg

2011-09-14191308.jpg

2011-09-14185944.jpg

2011-09-14190236.jpg

2011-09-14190316.jpg

And I know thats probly not enough oics, but get ready for the money shot2011-09-14185720.jpg

2011-09-14185729.jpg2011-09-14185737.jpg

That my interweb comrads is a 4.3 liter mounted to a 700r2 and slung nearly completely behimd the front wheels, the rest is pretty evident, tok springs kyb inserts poly every thing, its over all a pretty bad ass car, won afew shows, ben to canby, and the po/builder is just a realy nice guy that gave us a great tale of constuction and a huge pile of receipts , huge pile.

More to come im shure but im tryin to get some things going so it might be awhile before I can do a full review/video , did I miss some thing? Any questions?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that thing is super awesome, i've got an 85 rx-7 with a 302 in that is on the back burner until the 710 is a little more reliable...

make sure that thing is running tip top. those triangular edelbrock air cleaners are fire hazards in the event of a single back fire. at least on this car you can see it the second it happens since it is through the hood though haha.

Nice Car ! ,,, A 4.3 swap with stock rear drums.... someone has a death wish

^^^ That's the spirit !

rear drums will be a-ok if common sense is used :lol: ,,, just need to change outa bit moar often hahaha :lol:

BTW ,,, RedBanner ,,, does your dad have any plans for the yellow Z ? :D

^^^ That's the spirit !

rear drums will be a-ok if common sense is used :lol: ,,, just need to change outa bit moar often hahaha :lol:

BTW ,,, RedBanner ,,, does your dad have any plans for the yellow Z ? :D

Clean car, yes. Nice? No, not in my opinion. Too much fiberglass on the body, wheels, etc. Not saying it isnt a car in good shape, but its not to my taste. Either way its a good score though

Clean car, yes. Nice? No, not in my opinion. Too much fiberglass on the body, wheels, etc. Not saying it isnt a car in good shape, but its not to my taste. Either way its a good score though

ollz, yeah I dont like it either, dick

:lol: :lol:

This car is probly not much heavier than yours, brakes are fine work great. But this is just a starting point(head start woo hoo) upgrades are coming. Thanks for the downer tho your always good for it :lol:

Knock knock..

Whos there?

Oh its the vortek hello vortek how are you?

Well its balanced, mains look good, rod bearings and rods look good

Mihgt be lifters heres some upskirt oics(my faverite)

2011-09-21165246.jpg

Balance evidence

2011-09-21165342.jpg

2011-09-21165208.jpg

Heres one while checking clearences^

One big ass suprize......

2011-09-21170930.jpg

The pickup tube cut off? Its sitting about an inch above th bottom of the pan and 2 inches below the windage tray, but it didnt look like it .

2011-09-21171242.jpg

Order a new pickup tube still looking for the knock :(

Key here is it's NOT YOUR CAR. You don't have to like it.

It's not your car dude , you don't have to like it ,,, I for one do ! ,,, oh yeah and it's running and driving/street legal :D (hint hint)

( ,,, so is my 73 z-car ,,, driven 3+ times weekly ,,, daily in the summer ,,, not nice ,,, faded paint ,,, but I likey !)

Red-Banner --- Did you guys make any progress on the knock search ? that pickup tube looks interesting :blink: (lack of screen !!!) ,,, Old Chebby 350's ,,, the Connecting Rod Big Ends would stretch/get out of round ,,, is this a possibility ? :huh:

It's not your car dude , you don't have to like it ,,, I for one do ! ,,, oh yeah and it's running and driving/street legal :D (hint hint)

( ,,, so is my 73 z-car ,,, driven 3+ times weekly ,,, daily in the summer ,,, not nice ,,, faded paint ,,, but I likey !)

Red-Banner --- Did you guys make any progress on the knock search ? that pickup tube looks interesting :blink: (lack of screen !!!) ,,, Old Chebby 350's ,,, the Connecting Rod Big Ends would stretch/get out of round ,,, is this a possibility ? :huh:

I bet it is verry possible, I plastigauged it, looked great, but you can deff tell that the outside edges have little wear(bearing) amd the center surface has none , also pops said hes never had the caps come right off like that,

Were going to check the lifters, maybe on a hard long left the oil pump would starve .... But I dont think so, new tube with filter comes in tomaro

all else fails.... I told you bout that built 350 right?

I kinda wana see the 5.0 interceptor pops has on the shelf go in a lil sumin sumin

If we swap the 350 in ,between the 2 z's its goin to be a bolt in with minor exoust mods, still looking for a rear disk formula, and some big vented fronts would be nice :rolleyes:

The sooner this is done the sooner one of my many dattos gets some mo lift time. Oh and pops realy wanted to go to the beaches cruise yesterday too poor little guy.

When we got the car it sounded like a slight lifter tick, I got the fealing its not head related couse the sound is low back center.

So I mic the bore at .03 over, no pistons for that soo honein it out alittle more and getting the next size piston, bigger cam for the lop lop lop sound and back on the road she goes....... For now...... Till I get the brake thing goin( rather my dad gets HIS brake thing goin).

• 3 weeks later...

2011-10-11184709.jpg

So I went over to my dads to help him clean up the engine bay and talk about where were going with this z (4.3 built some more, or "the" 350) and we discussed tucking the loom. So when I showed up2011-10-11184646.jpg

Hes got the battery box cut out to get to some rust, and hes stripping the undercoating that was sprayed in the enginebay, and cutting off un needed brackets and welding up holes. 2011-10-11184640.jpg

2011-10-11184632.jpg

2011-10-11184747.jpg

2011-10-11184734.jpg

Soo the motor moumts are ....... Cool? 1/2 plate.

2011-10-11184717.jpg

The yard rabbit was under my feet the whole time2011-10-11184835.jpg wont hear what the michine shop thinks about the 4.3 till monday, I like the idea of the whole motor being behind the wheels. But for a little bit more weight we could go v8.

realy looks like with the normal intake without these funky risers and we can run a normal air filter under the sweet new currently brown (pics later) hood :cool:

After I was done working on the z I tried to get my moms chesapeke to get over her fear of rabbits.... Baby steps.. maybe my goal for canby will be to get the dog to quit cowering to the bunny, i might need more time tho lols