Fan clutch or no fan clutch?

Just Joel

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

electric fans are beast, just pick one up for like 50 bucks or less, or from a junkyard. mine was like 43 from oreillys and it works great. hooked it up to a relay along with my fuel pump so they both turn on with the ignition

I agree about the electric fans but the relay should be triggered by a thermostat or they will be on all the time even when not needed. No fan is needed on a cold motor or one moving over 25 MPH as there is enough air pushed through the rad from vehicle motion. Only time it will come on is (sometimes) waiting for a green light or if sitting still long enough..

• 2 years later...

I bought my B210 with no fan, and no fan clutch.  What would I need to install a universal electric fan?  Would I need the fan and the relay?  What do you guys recommend.  I do not want to use the flex fan because I do not want anything to happen at slow speeds (i.e. traffic, etc.).  I appreciate all of anyone's input as I am a long-time Datsun lover, first time Datsun owner.  'It's Dat-time!'  Peace guys.  

I bought a threaded T-piece with same diameter flanges as the rad pipe - from a rad shop. Bought a temp sensor (from a Fiat!) to thread into the T-piece - which is inserted in the outflow pipe of the rad. Used that to trigger the electric fan through a 30-amp relay. Also put a simple toggle switch under the dash to bypass the sensor - for when it gets above 40 here 

Second, fan noise is related to blade spacing~ not the clutch (or lack thereof). Fans, just like any other rotating component, create noise. Even blade spacing introduces harmonics to that noise~ find a fan that has staggerd blades.

^That's fan blades 101 right there.  :thumbup:

Joel, nice find on that H2O pump!

My 2 cents:

I only go clutch fan, or electric on all of my vehicles.  I will never go back to a fixed fan, unless it's for a restoration that needs to be concours correct.

Some of those electric fans come with a thermometer you stick into the radiator core fins....  That's what I had on my '65 Mustang, and I had issues with it.  I also had a fuse go bad (not a short, just a junk fuse), when I was in stop and go traffic in 90 degree temps.  It took me a little bit to realize it wasn't coming on, and by that time the aluminum head was warped.  I like the clutch fan on my L20B, no issues.