New 510! Intro and Pics...

5NDIME

Well I picked up a 1971 510 a couple days ago. Made a drive from Fort Worth, TX to Littleton, CO and back in 33 hours...that's 1,610 miles. Towed a 14' trailer behind my Xterra and brought this puppy home. The shell is in damn good shape. Very, very little rust. A little back story here on my 510 interest. To start, I rode home from the hospital in a 510 in 1978. My parents each had 510s. A coupe and a four door. My dad also worked for Earl Hughes Datsun in the parts department in the early 70s. He was also SCCA active. So his knowledge of these has been, and will continue to be, shared with me. He also has tons of original Datsun items. I'll post up some pics in the next few days. I figured if any time is now for a vintage race car, this was my shot. This 510 is ready for new love and I'm ready to start a new project. Anyway, here is a link to some initial pics. I'll add more as things progress. My plan is to eventually get this to a CVAR and Carerra PanAmerica build level. A couple of my buddies have done the Carerra a couple times in their Mini and are ready to help get this thing to that level. So here goes nothing...

http://photobucket.com/1971datsun510

Comments welcome!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went and looked at that one really wanted it. But flaked out (wife reminded me I didn't need another project). It looked like a great car, I would love to se a picture of the carbon front fenders. I don't know how much you paid, but you got yourself a very solid start and a very awesome 2 door 510. I hope you change the rims.

Well I picked up a 1971 510 a couple days ago. Made a drive from Fort Worth, TX to Littleton, CO and back in 33 hours...that's 1,610 miles. Towed a 14' trailer behind my Xterra and brought this puppy home. The shell is in damn good shape. Very, very little rust. A little back story here on my 510 interest. To start, I rode home from the hospital in a 510 in 1978. My parents each had 510s. A coupe and a four door. My dad also worked for Earl Hughes Datsun in the parts department in the early 70s. He was also SCCA active. So his knowledge of these has been, and will continue to be, shared with me. He also has tons of original Datsun items. I'll post up some pics in the next few days. I figured if any time is now for a vintage race car, this was my shot. This 510 is ready for new love and I'm ready to start a new project. Anyway, here is a link to some initial pics. I'll add more as things progress. My plan is to eventually get this to a CVAR and Carerra PanAmerica build level. A couple of my buddies have done the Carerra a couple times in their Mini and are ready to help get this thing to that level. So here goes nothing...

http://photobucket.com/1971datsun510

Comments welcome!

Congrats, enjoy your build amd time with your Dad doing it !!

• Like 1

wow your start is better than some completed projects, nice clean car man, looking foward to seeing the build

Yeah this thing is amazingly clean. I wanted it because it was already so stripped down. You can easily tell the thing has had virtually no bondo. Insides of the skins are as straight as the outsides.

And the lack of rust is amazing. When I was 6 or so my dad's car had rusted through both floor pans. He had put a piece of plexi in the passenger floor so I could watch the road at speed. Yeah, not the safest, but better than a hole. Plus it aided in our search for loose change on the road. Us Jews are always on the lookout for those orphan nickels...haha! I learned early thanks to Datsun rust.

What's crazy is this is less rust than on his north Texas car 25 years ago.

Here's a link to pics of some of the original literature I have in hand. One item is the Bible and the other is an original Datsun Competition Parts catalog. I just took pics of the 510 pages from that. The slide is an original Datsun dealer slide for the 510 pick-up points for the chassis. My dad also has full, original 24"x36" or so blueprints from the competition department for suspension and other bits. Those are yet to be yanked from his attic.

http://photobucket.com/510literature

This is just s start of what I have. Another cool piece is the original press package from Road America for B Sedan in 1972. I'll get some pics of that up in a few days too.

Thats my old car!!! I sold it to the guy you bought it off of. Glad to see that it went to somebody that is gonna appreciate it! good luck!

No way!! So do you know where the car came from? Was it a CO car? It is amazingly rust free. The nice part is Ben bought a ton of additional parts to add to the pile. What'd he pay you for it? Thanks!! It will be well taken care of. Actually worked on it a little this evening and my Carrera PanAm buddies stopped by to take some cage measurements for it.

:D :D

No way!! So do you know where the car came from? Was it a CO car? It is amazingly rust free. The nice part is Ben bought a ton of additional parts to add to the pile. What'd he pay you for it? Thanks!! It will be well taken care of. Actually worked on it a little this evening and my Carrera PanAm buddies stopped by to take some cage measurements for it.

As far as I know the car was in CO most of its life. I got it from a guy in Elizabeth, CO who had it for about 12 years or so. He was the one who put the engine and tranny in it. I started doing some of the body work (there really wasnt anything crazy, just some little dings and dents here and there). There was one rust spot above the rocker panel that I cut out, but that was the only real cancer on the body. I dont know if Benny gave you all of the paperwork that I gave to him, but there should be a ton of literature and a ton of receipts for a bunch of the stuff. I sold it to him in January because I moved back east and had no way to bring it with me (and am now kicking myself). Looks to me about the only thing he did to it was put the sidedrafts on it. Other than that it seems to be in about the same shape as when I sold it. Probably one of the cleanest projects I have ever seen. Keep me updated on the progress and if you ever want to get rid of it LET ME KNOW :D!

!!

:D :D

As far as I know the car was in CO most of its life. I got it from a guy in Elizabeth, CO who had it for about 12 years or so. He was the one who put the engine and tranny in it. I started doing some of the body work (there really wasnt anything crazy, just some little dings and dents here and there). There was one rust spot above the rocker panel that I cut out, but that was the only real cancer on the body. I dont know if Benny gave you all of the paperwork that I gave to him, but there should be a ton of literature and a ton of receipts for a bunch of the stuff. I sold it to him in January because I moved back east and had no way to bring it with me (and am now kicking myself). Looks to me about the only thing he did to it was put the sidedrafts on it. Other than that it seems to be in about the same shape as when I sold it. Probably one of the cleanest projects I have ever seen. Keep me updated on the progress and if you ever want to get rid of it LET ME KNOW :D!

!!

Yeah, the body is pretty damn straight. Really hardly any bondo spots from what I have run across. Are you responsible for the skull and cross bones on the hood? It's a nice touch for a ratty 510 :lol:

I texted Ben about the paperwork because it got left out. He was going to round it up and get it to me in the mail shortly. In the boxes and boxes of stuff, it was missing. But he wasn't there when I picked the car up. Got it from his dad. Thanks for keeping custody of this thing until I could locate it! :P

Haha not responsible for the skull... although it does seem like a good touch. and not responsible for the wheels either :D Is it running? I didnt get to drive it much, had a milk crate in it and took it around the block a couple times but that motor is definately well built. Sounded awesome with the Weber on it, cant even imagine how it sounds with the sidedrafts.

Haha not responsible for the skull... although it does seem like a good touch. and not responsible for the wheels either :D Is it running? I didnt get to drive it much, had a milk crate in it and took it around the block a couple times but that motor is definately well built. Sounded awesome with the Weber on it, cant even imagine how it sounds with the sidedrafts.

Yeah, the skull is awesome. Keeps the grandmas on their toes when I roll up on them at a cross walk. :lol:

Yeah, it runs great. Haven't driven it around yet. Just got the throttle cable set up and need to get the seat semi-bolted down. Put the front fenders back on. It sounds wicked, the cherrybomb is nice and the open Supertrap is great. I'm itching to buzz it around the hood and scare all the little kids. Definitely a great little ride. Reminds me of being a kid in my dad's old dime. We called it the buzz-bomb for a reason...very similar to this one. But 25 years ago.

You guys are making me regret not locking this thing up when I went and looked at it I had my chance darn wife reminding me I already have a project (not really I love that woman she is amazing). But I am so bummed this thing isn't in my driveway.

It sure was a deal. I took a chance and drove 1,600 miles hoping all the way it was as good as Ben had said. I was impressed. Just as decribed.

John lives in Haltom City and he has a few Datsuns, not sure if he has anymore 510's. I know a guy in Plano and he has 3 510's but he isnt on any forums. I live in Frisco and I have a never ending SR 510 project. I dont know of anyone else in area with any 510's.

Datsunfreak (John Roper) is a great source for parts and information. If you ever need a hand or want to come check out my project let me know.

• 2 weeks later...