ballast resistor questions

josh_t

I have a 76 b210 with points still on it, so i know its necessary for a ballast resistor. I want to upgrade to a matchbox dizzy. I am using a pertronix flamethrower 1.5 ohm coil. Can i use this coil with the matchbox without a ballast resistor?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Manufacturer would know if its made to run off staraight 12-14volts.

Another way to know is run it W/O a ballast and feel if it gets HOT!!!!!!!

The matchbox Later A series dizzys used a .7 ohm coil. so really your not going to get the full spark but it should still work if the coil is made to run off the higher amps.

you could still run the 1.5 ohm coil and ballast also if you want. just hook B of matchbox to the most 12volt point. this is usually the + side of the ballast resisitor.

C to - side coil

remember just because it says FLAMETHROWER dont mean its going to make your car faster

i would rather not use the ballast and coil together since that is about 4 times more resistance than is necessary. i'm sure that doesnt help performance any. and i know it wont make it faster, but a friend gave it to me so why not use it if possible? it at least looks nicer than the nissan coil. lol

a good article on coils (specifically the bosch blue)

http://www.ratwell.c...l/BlueCoil.html

anyway, seems another ratsuner recently asked a similar question

maybe we need an ignition sticky?

this is the sorta thing you forget about if you're not a tech

yea sorry bout that. i think i might have stumbled over some other useful ones that are close enough to this one. i'll check tha article later

Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil comes in 1.5 ohm and 3.0 ohm versions. Hopefully it will say on the label.

Not to be confused with Flame-Thrower II, Flame-Thrower III, Flame-Thrower HC or Flame-Thrower HV coils.

Technically, pertronix sells a different coil for V8 and 4/6 cylinder engines. They also sell a low-energy electronic ignition, though most are high-energy.

So bottom line, best to ask Pertronix.

Pertronix Flame-Thrower coil comes in 1.5 ohm and 3.0 ohm versions. Hopefully it will say on the label.

Not to be confused with Flame-Thrower II, Flame-Thrower III, Flame-Thrower HC or Flame-Thrower HV coils.

Technically, pertronix sells a different coil for V8 and 4/6 cylinder engines. They also sell a low-energy electronic ignition, though most are high-energy.

So bottom line, best to ask Pertronix.

ok. i know mine is 1.5 i'll just see what they say about running it without a ballast. my guess would be that its ok but my guess isnt always best.