sea foam, Lucas or Techron

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alcohol 'eats' carbon. It's unreal how it will dissolve it. I suspect that 'Teckron' isn't really an additive but just the normal cleaning action from 10% alcohol in the gas. Nice marketing gimmick Chevron!!!

If you motor is running fine I wouldn't use anything. If you have an oil burner or you carb is running rich (in which case you should simply tune it) and plugs are constantly dirty or fouling then go ahead.

Techron is great for cleaning injectors, or rather keeping them clean. It was a wonder at how running only chevron in my mercedes made it run better after a month, and that was with the PO driving it daily as well before me.

Techron is great for cleaning injectors, or rather keeping them clean. It was a wonder at how running only chevron in my mercedes made it run better after a month, and that was with the PO driving it daily as well before me.

I have used chevron gas nearly my entire internal combustion life. Techron works. I don't know what it is, but every engine I have ever had, be it a lawnmower to a datsun and anything inbetween has always been cleaner and had virtually zero fuel system problems. I also use seafoam periodically and believe in it. I had a 1986 honda CB700SC nighthawk bike that had been sitting for 5 years. The carbs were shit. old fuel left in them the whole time. I drained it out. Cleaned out the carbs as best as I could. After getting the bike going and running 3 tanks of chevron supreme through it these carbs looked nearly new when I tore them down for a full rebuild. I have before and after oics somewhere, but I need to scan them as they were pre-digital..........also pre ethanol as well, but thats a different arguement/opinion altogether. My dad and I have been small engine mechanics for years.....me going on 20 years and dad 45, and I can tell you the people in our community that use chevron fuel have ZERO fuel system issues, and the folks who use no name fuel are always having fouling, running and useability issues, not to mention having the fuel varnish faster. Since chevron left our little town last year, this year saw the biggest number of fuel system problems we have ever encountered, not a coincidence i think.

But do dwell on this...........when manufacturers get the EPA mileage rating on their new cars and trucks, they use Chevron fuel. There aren't any Chevrons in Michigan, so the manufacturers have it hauled in. Why would they go through all of that hassle for a fuel that isn't superior on some level.

Techron works. I don't know what it is, but every engine I have ever had

I had a 1986 honda CB700SC nighthawk

i add to the 4runner every 4-5th tank of costco gas. i buy it at costco too.

the lucas stuf, meh

seafoam works too.

i had a 84 nighthawk. put over 80K mi on it.

never a mechanical issue.

So far, I tried Lucas fuel additive and noticed that the car idles better, I have adjusted the carb but I think there's carbon build up when carb was not running right. This is when the housing that holds the needle valve broke. So it was dumping gas, causing my RPM to go down at idle after a minute or so, specially at stop lights. So I set my idle mixture (32/36 weber)again, changed the spark plugs (NGK) and wires (NGK), rotor, cap, fuel filter, PCV valve and runs smoother.