well wtf? my car is still leaking, oil

510 Bomber

i fixed my first leak. 3 bolts held this timing belt plate in. but there was only 2. so i got a 3rd. now oil drips when i stop my car for about 2 mins. i hate lookin for leaks in the dark. since thats the only time i get to look at i. hopefully my car makes it till sunday.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well i have this timing belt plate. that pumpkn210 told me a should check that out. i did. and there was a bolt missing. so i fixed that.

then later i started to leak oil..... but not a whole lot. so i would check and my oil was just fine. i cleaned all the oil off and ran it for awhile and nothing leaked. so i changed the oil and called it a day. im driving up to seattle tonite, so im gonna keep an eye on it. i got extra oil just in case. when i was looking at the leftover oil, it seemed that it could of been leakin below the head gasket. but only time will tell. goin to take it to a shop on monday and check it out there.

i have a L20b motor.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Neither Datsun L-series engine nor Datsun A-series engine has a timing belt.

an,all this time I have been trying to change a t-belt..go figure :lol:

ALso check the fuel pump "gasket" for a leak prone to it they is

sorry. so it was my timing chain cover. ive been use to sayin timing belt. but after i cleand the excess oil off and my oil change. hasnt leaked. BUT when i was driving to my buddys house to pick him up, white smoke started pouring out of my tail pipe and my hood hole. pulled over. turned it off. and this is what i saw.

0820111848.jpg

whatever that part is, it cracked on the underside. but its just cast iron, and i can weld it. im pretty sure. i was talkin to one guy, older, knew ALOT about every datsun. and he said that i should get a manifold from like a 60s datsun and it should match up and get rid of all that emission shit. im on the hunt for that. if anyone could help me out.

but tommrw, when my shop opens (very good friends with them) i will have them look at it. hopefully just weld it and call it a day.

0820111848.jpg

So much wiring and stuff in the way... could be the exhaust manifold even. I can believe it cracking but not the EGR manifold.

banana.jpg

If you are sure it's this thing just seal the crack it with JB weld. Since you have it blocked off there is no exhaust flow so it won't get that hot.

White 'smoke' out the exhaust is a sign that you have a blown head gasket. That's coolant steam.

banana.jpg

if i remember right, it was cracked there. is that an extra?!?! for sell?!?!?

EEk!!....... im not sure if one in picture is for sale We are stripping the emissions off my sons 79 but not right this second I will let you know SOON

Anyway removeing emissions wont hurt nothing and since yours is already way broke .. you could just make block off plate

This is what part looks like off engine ( from older truck ) just three nuts holding it on

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY046-1.jpg

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY045-1.jpg

Once removed your manifold will look like this ,,just cut a plate that will span all three studs drill holes then mount to manifold.. There is one stud missing on left side of manifold pictured

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY042.jpg

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY043.jpg

You will also need to plug all the extra pipes and such

AND this is the type of older manifold you could use BUT the runners are a bit smaller than stock L20 manifold so a little less performance.. Manifolds in picture not for sales

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY048.jpg

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY043.jpg

The trouble with a block off plate is you are also disabling the PCV system (top black hole) which is essential for removing water vapor and fumes from the crankcase that condense overnight and dilute and dirty the engine oil. A properly working PCV will extend your oil changes, keep your engine clean and accidentally reduce emissions.

OOps............. yeah you have to mark hole and drill and tap for that you could reuse your pcv valve that is on manifold ..like i said i might have this one off .....................................................eventually laugh.gif

Sons at football everyday from 7:45 till 6:00 at night ill try and get the keys from him because i locked door after first pictures

yes, front is good. back is dented. but the dent looks pretty cool. for a dent.

how far is tumwater to bremerton??

Use mirror to make sure where leak is FIRST so your not just trading for parts you dont need ..But

Im not really in Tumwater im south of it about 12 miles or so

i use to work right by , Als automotive and performance transmission , in Port Orchard and it seems like i was on the road about 1hour and 15 minutes.

if you go backway through Shelton it`s just a little longer because of tourists and logging trucks and lower speed limit

Even if you block off the intake manifold EGR port, the exhaust comes from the manifold.

The simplest way is to plug the round line that goes to the exhaust manifold.

And yes the bigger question is why is white smoke coming out? Normally you would see nothing, colorless exhaust, you could feel come out of the crack, but not see it.

0822111658.jpg

got it off. and thats how big the crack was.

0822111658a.jpg

made a plate for it.

0823111317.jpg

installed it

0822111659.jpg

i pinched that exhast. but now i gotta some how connect that oil hardline to the PCV valve. i can not bypass that PCV.

well the white smoke doesnt seem like cooliant. it smelt like oil..... so my techs said it was my transmission module. checked it. and it was dumpin oil. since that must have failed, its been dumping trans fuild in my exhast and making white smoke. they all agreed. the part comes in tommrw morning. hopefully thats the problem.

sucks having to call out of work to fix my datsun, but gotta do what i gotta do.

good thing the weathers out, and i can do my side jobs. yard work. extra $$$$$$$$$$$

0822111658.jpg

got it off. and thats how big the crack was.

0822111659.jpg

i pinched that exhast. but now i gotta some how connect that oil hardline to the PCV valve. i can not bypass that PCV.

sucks having to call out of work to fix my datsun, but gotta do what i gotta do.

Well i guess that`s how you could find hole it with your fingerlol.gif

Don`t worry about doing everything yourself as long as you don`t give up..thumbup1.gif

Some of the nicest cars on this website have had someone besides the owner work on it..

Didn`t i see you had access to a welder in another thread??

Maybe just take PVC valve down to hardware and find a steel bung the PCV valve screws into and weld that to the plate you made..

Then find hose to connect to pipe in picture

so change the transmission module/moderator (what the box said) and the oil sender unit/sensor, i belive i fixed the smoke.

but when i was driving home, there comes the white smoke. im hoping thats just oil burning. im pretty sure its not a blown head gasket.

and i still have a oil leak. most likely read main seal. im goin to drop the tranny and engine and change it when i get a weekend to fix it.

now, unfortantly im goin to have to put the datsun in park. i would hate to drive it while its leakin oil and possibly smoking. so now i gotta get a car to get me to work. good thing i have one inline. just gotta do payments.

sad day :(