well wtf? my car is still leaking, oil

510 Bomber

A rear crank seal will leak out between the motor and tranny. The oil will be black. If the tranny is leaking it will be red-ish.

Power wash or use engine shampoo and power wash off at the car wash or use brake cleaner to clean this area. Check regularly to find the leak. No need to pull the motor and change the main seal only to find out it was the valve cover gasket leaking down behind the head.

• Like 1
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A rear crank seal will leak out between the motor and tranny. The oil will be black. If the tranny is leaking it will be red-ish.

Power wash or use engine shampoo and power wash off at the car wash or use brake cleaner to clean this area. Check regularly to find the leak. No need to pull the motor and change the main seal only to find out it was the valve cover gasket leaking down behind the head.

^^^ exactly ,,, +1 :)

well ive cleaned it off reall good. so im like 80% that its the rear main. but im goin to try to not drive my datsun until i fix the leak. its been real tough today. not very smart with engines. was about to give up.

but i took a break. and got things figured out

well ive cleaned it off reall good. so im like 80% that its the rear main. but im goin to try to not drive my datsun until i fix the leak. its been real tough today. not very smart with engines. was about to give up.

but i took a break. and got things figured out

it's all a learning curve even for pro's !!! :console: ( which I am clearly not :lol: )

wipe out/clean bell-housing while your at it once engine or tranny pulled ,,, inspect front tranny seal ,,, clean off (brake clean) , and inspect clutch/flywheel too while you are there ! ( and operation of throwout bearing ) ,,, re-grease pivot points , and if pulling tranny do not let your slave cylinder run dry :)

Happy trails !!!

:D

:)