620 radiator interchange?

moparvwfreak

i found a rad at autozone (yeah i know but they, so far, are the only ones that can get one new) but its for a 78. would that bolt in? i am in need of one badly. i dont see why it wouldn't but i figured i would at least ask.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i was thnking about modding in electric fans so fan clearance would not be an issue. i think next week i will be ordering it then. a new rad for $149 i cant pass that up. plus i gotta redo all the heater hoses and what not anyway so new hoses are a must to begin with.

Great! I wanna see this. I spent the better part of a day going around to radiator shops and they all told me the same thing... the L20 radiators don't fit in the L16/L18 because of the difference in the core support and that they are too tall.

Maybe they meant that it wouldn't fit because it wasn't a direct bolt in. I had other more pressing issues and dropped it but I need a new rad bad.

Post up some pics. :)

• 2 weeks later...

alright. the rad i did get was WAY to big. the mounting holes on the core support are 19 34 inches apart. the rad i had in the truck measured 20 34 inches and the one i got was a WHOPPING 23 14 inches. these measurement were made center to center on teh mounting holes. granted there was some play in teh original rad i had in teh truck but not enough to bolt it in. height wise they look pretty much teh same. so......

my new question is... how wide are the mounts for a 72.5, EARLY 73 radiator? my truck was built in 9/73 and as far as i can tell teh core support has NOT been changed. any ideas? i have given you guys the measurements so if that helps thanks!

23 1/4 sounds like a 720 radiator to me, but they look a lot different. 9/73 isn't an early '73 at all. Not sure it's even a '73... but it's right around the cutoff date (usually August). Note that the door tag SHOULD have 2 dates on it. I've swapped 620 rads all over the place, BUT not with older straight-support trucks ('72-74). I have a pile of 620 radiators (gee, I need to clean out this sty, I was keeping them as cores but haven't bought a rad at a parts store in years) but I think most had holes in them. Well, except the 2 brand new factory NOS ones in boxes I bought from that parts liquidation firm before they recycled everything.

I know my books say that a '73 radiator and a '74 are different, then '75-77 are different again, and '78-79 had 2 versions. That isn't counting differences for A/T and Manual, which there was. The Nissan manual lists at least 12 different part numbers for North American 620 radiators, but aftermarket shops don't show that many.

Ok I measured my 72.5 and it is 19 3/4 inches center to center....(stock set up)...Ol Yeller is a 73, but, the core support was replaced with one from a 78 when i was buildin it a few years ago.....that one measures 20 3/4 center to center...The new radiator I just got from Rockauto.com is listed as a 3 core for a 79 and it too measures 20 3/4 inches....hope this helps

Rockauto.com radiator for a 79 620...$114 bucks (3 core)

still to wide to bolt in. hence why i need the early one. i want to be able to secure it so it looks right. not held in my bungee cords like ti is now.

Maybe do what I intend to do...since ther is only a bit less than 1/2 inch each side, I will slot the holes a bit to accomodate the smaller core support, use larger fender washers and use the original nuts...looks like I will be good to go...

i would do that but the one thats just a touch wide (the one i got with the truck) is SHOT! hence why i needed the radiator. i will take a look and see if that woudl be doable. also hood bolts work GREAT for the radiator bolts. same size and thread pitch. i had a spare set off the hood i got. :D

i would do that but the one thats just a touch wide (the one i got with the truck) is SHOT! hence why i needed the radiator. i will take a look and see if that woudl be doable. also hood bolts work GREAT for the radiator bolts. same size and thread pitch. i had a spare set off the hood i got. :D

The SHOT one that you have is a perfect one to grind away on the mounting holes to see if you can make a new one work, before you spend money and grind on a ppart that you cannot return now.

Jason

thats my thinking. i am also going to see if one of my spare "dub" radiators will work. even if i have to ziptie the damn thing in i will have the smurf running right. if i can get it running i will ratchet strap teh hood down and bring it to GG sunday. otehrwise i will have my passat.

the link worked fine. i will try slotting the rad itsself and see what happens. then and only then, if it works will i order up a new one for a later model. that way if it works then i can figure it out. as it sits i will look into a VW rad so i can get it working soon.

I was just looking in my book at the VW radiators too. I would look into a modine #633 or a #937 by the pics in my book. #633 fits rabbits 77-82 and #937 fits rabbits and sciroccos 82-84. They are wider than a datsun but they should not be too tall. These two numbers appear to have the lower hose on the correct side for a L-series motor.

Hope this helps

Jason

Summit racing sells generic aluminum radiators for $180

Or just drill holes in your core support. Is this an all original show truck? ...I just dont see the problem. I made stuff fit when I had a 620.

no its not an all original show truck but i just HATE doing make shift shit if i dont have to. thats just em. i am a perfectionist when it comes to my cars. hence why i havent gotten my scamp put back together yet. its only been 11 YEARS since it has seen the road. :blink: i also dont want to have to relocate anything if i dont have to. i can live with bungee cords untill i find the proper stuff IF i ahve to. but i would rather have proper parts ya know?

Then deal with the bungee cords a little longer while waiting for a early 620 one to show up at a JY new you or for Ted to part one out and have it recored. Then it all bolts in perfect and looks correct.

I know it will cost more money, but it is correct to the truck.

Jason