L16 4 speed leak

jon521

so i noticed recently i have some oil coming up into cab from around the plate thats on the trans tunnel. i can only assume that it is the transmission? its not a whole lot of oil, but there definetly is some coming up in there. but i never leave a drop of oil on the ground when i park. should i be worried?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have this laek also.nothing on ground.

Jack up truck and make sure trans has oil in it. need to buy some trans oil say 80-90wt. Best to buy the pump that goes in to the bottle and pump oil into the trans or hard to angle the bottle in. There will be a big nut on the drivers side thats square. open this up and pump oil in there.

I ran out of oil this way on last trans. the rear seal was bad(it was changed also but was bad again) Best to ck this. Dont be lazy like me.I didnt see any oil either!!!!!

Best to save a 4speed9521) as I would take another if I need one.

Definitely check the oil level. It should be level with the fill hole. You should be able to reach in with your little finger and dip into it. Take a good look around the back of the transmission at the driveshaft. If leaking it may spray up onto the tranny tunnel.

I use a couple of feet of garden hose and a dollar store funnel and run it up beside the intake manifold. Pour into the funnel and let gravity do the work.