620 upgrades

Radiant-Designer

I was going to go with the disc kit that a datsun forum member makes.

LOL YEAH as for AutoZone, I bought a bunch of stuff from them over 2 weeks ago and it was shipped overnight and just got here today... And they didn't put the oil gasket in and didn't send the gift card that I was supposed to get with it.... Looks like I'm sticking with advanced auto or better yet the local guy whos not a chain.... Pay a little more but I know the money is staying local.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what if you were to run an inch smaller belt to pull it in closer to the motor away from the idler mike?

You Can't Pull The Alt Any Closer Because It's Already Touching The Water Inlet

So You Would Be Tilting The Alt Causing The Pulley To Be Off

Mine would hit the grease nipple on the idler arm. Used a 720 block mount to move it upward 1/4", 280z lower rad inlet pipe and shorter fan belt. Worked barely.

The Z car inlet is positioned differently and lifts the rad hose slightly above the alt. Even with a shorter belt I had to put it on the pulley first and then the two mounting bolts on the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, just an update here, found a 76 620 in a fieldso hoping that it will have a sway bar that I can seap onto mine, Honestly I was just too amazed it ahd a perfect dash to think straight!

I put the 180 degree thermostat in.. DatzenMike youre right, it is too hard to test the original one... becuase there WASNT ONE IN THERE! WTF..... but being it was in CA i guess thye didnt care about it getting up to temp.

I still have the new Alt in the box, going to put it in soon I hope...

im also looking at options for a Turanneau cover....

81 alternator is Internal regulated

you say you have a 77 truck wheich is external regulated.

Youll have to pull the external reg out and make jumpers to stick in the connector

hmmm well at first that doesnt SEEM too hard.... it would just be a case of splicing on a connector right? and making sure it connects to the right place...

Currently in the works:

install the 60A alternator (now im hearing different opinions on how it is going to go)

New wheels (16" American Racing) and a front disc brake set up (contacted Beebani waiting for a response)

Replace the cracked worn out dash

Sway bar

Tonneau cover (still trying to nail down some details if anyone wants to chime in and help out)

New sound system

Push button ignition and keyless entry system

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update:

Replace seats: Check

Weber Carb: Check

POR the rear frame (took the bed off): Check

Replace the plugs, wires, rotor and cap: Check

Front Sway Bar: Check (It was already there on my 77)

Replaced Thermostat: Check (actually there wasnt even one in there so i put a 180 degree one in.)

Replaced thermostat housing and water outlet pipe with polished one: Check

Replaced valve cover: Check (had to match the thermostat housing ;) )

60a Alt: Bought it, but havent installed it yet...

New Wheels:Check.... Test fit ok, got 2 tires that should be the same diameter thanks to Datzenmike's help Will see how well they work out when I do the disc brakes hopefully this weekend.

Disc Brakes: Got the front brakets from BEEBANI already, rears should be here any day now. Got the 280ZX Master Cylinder, Drilled and slotted rotors (mostly for looks) and Nissan 300zx calipers for the front. Hoping to fo these this weekend.

DASH: got a parts truck with a nearly perfect dash in it. just have to pull and swap. Had a few people offer to buy it so im kinda torn...

Rear slider: Half check... paid for it like 2 weeks ago, still waiting for a Ratsun member to ship it.... grrr

still looking for AC stuff and a tach

Talked to a friend about painting it... Going to sand down a lot of it, POR-15 the spots that like to rust (the seam on the bed, under the wheel wells, borrom of the doors and quater panels, the borrom valance area under the grill) and then paint it the same yello color, maybe POR-15 POW-R-Line the bed.

81 alternator is Internal regulated

you say you have a 77 truck wheich is external regulated.

Youll have to pull the external reg out and make jumpers to stick in the connector

so i am trying to find out how to do this, and the best I can seem to do is find this, will this be what I need to do to remove the external regulator and go internal?

6alternator_ir.jpg

i know its for a 510, but i am thinking the basic idea behind it should be the same right? someone please correct me if i am wrong.

Dimequarterly.com has a step by step procedure written for doing the external to internal wiring swap..really is quite simple..yes it is aimed at the 510 guys but the basics remain the same..did this to both of my 620 trucks and have no issues at all (ol yeller has 60k on the swap)

• 3 weeks later...