620 Loud Clicking

grant

My 620 has started a clicking sound from what sounds like the rear of the truck. This clicking only happens when under load and only when going forward. if I feather the throttle starting off/or when sustaining speed/or lift off throttle it doesn't do it, and if I start in second and punch it, it sounds louder.

what have I done to the truck recently: I put 3" lowering blocks in it, put a 1" spacer under carrier bearing.

Also my wife was making fun of my truck the last time I drove it so I did a wee little brake stand, and after reading this thread

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/20939-differential-is-stuck-any-ideas/page__p__294630__hl__%2B620+%2Bdiff__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=294630

I thought maybe I blew my rear end, so I pulled it apart, nothing appeared to be damaged so I brought it to my father inlaw (bigger gear head) his diagnosis was that it wasn't the problem.

other minor problems with truck; about 1mm play in rear universal (play seemed gone when I greased it, sound continued, so have new one on order), carrier bearing rubber has a small tear in it (on order).

So any suggestions? am I missing something in the diff?

Next I'm gonna look at the axle/wheel bearings, but I am lost!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like my U joints when they were going out.

Pulled my driveshaft to inspect, and found that one of the bearing cups at the input shaft side had completely shattered and fallen apart. It was a wonder the driveshaft stayed on.

thanks for the input guys, for got to mention its speed related too (meaning faster I got the faster the clicking gets)

- my thoughts would be, leafs springs wouldn't be speed related

- nope never pulled the drums off till now

- looking over the u joints again, seems like no play, nothing broken

argh

Mine literally had no play on the input shaft side, but was completely decimated. Wish I took pictures. When I took it to a driveline shop to have the U-joints replaced, they told me it was a wonder that the driveshaft hadn't broken. Then I told em it only had 80HP :rofl:

decided last minute to change all the u-joints just to make sure, and it worked! I can't believe how much noise the bad one made! and still couldn't tell you which one it was, I ended up having to cut the last two out because I could get them to press out.

thanks again for all the help/suggestion the truck is driving like a newly lowered bouncy dream! lol

on to suspension now!