clutch

73DATSON

Ok so i need to change my clutch,and i'm not sure if there a diffrent in the l20b and 5speed 620? And l20b and 5speed 200sx? Do they both use the same clutch? Do you go by the engine or tranny when buying a clutch? I only have the car for a month and the guy a bought it from don't know much on it? He said that it was a 620 truck set up? but he didn't put it in he got it like that. Anybody?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its all about the flywheel.....Could be 200mm or 225mm either one will work with both transmission.

Time permitting, I would take out trans to check......measure the clutch disc when out....;)

Or gamble on what the parts guy gives you for the truck setup.

Its all about the flywheel.....Could be 200mm or 225mm either one will work with both transmission.

Time permitting, I would take out trans to check......measure the clutch disc when out....;)

Or gamble on what the parts guy gives you for the truck setup.

thx. i have no new parts. just shopping for new clutch.

The quick reference book I have lists the following.

200SX (S10) Disc: 30100-N8493 Pressure Plate: 30210-K0400 ('77 to '79 I think...some one is sure to correct me if I'm wrong ;)

620 (620) Disc: up to 9/73 30100-N8493. 10/73 - 8/74 30100-R5800. 9/74 and on 30100-Y6800

Pressure Plate: up to 9/73 30210-23000. 10/73 - 8/74 30210-P0100. 9/74 and on 30210-Y0100.

Lookslike there is very little cross over so I wasn't much help :( Looks like you may have to pull and match....could get lucky with a part # on the disc....maybe

Generally 4 cyl. cars with the L20B motor get a flywheel drilled and tapped to fit a 200mm clutch and PP. Trucks got a 225mm flywheel. As stated, it's all about the flywheel and the motor and the transmission have nothing to do with what clutch will fit. The flywheel determines what PP you can use.

After 30-40 years and because L20B and Z series car and truck flywheels are interchangeable, it might have anything on it. Best to measure.

• Like 1

Measure across the contact face of the pressure plate or across the diameter of the friction disc. For the flywheel measure across the contact (shiny) surface. This one is a 240mm or 9.5" .

flywheel240mmthree2Large.jpg

This is a 5 bolt 200mm wheel.

L16L18200mmflywheel.jpg

Friction disc off a diesel so 225mm.

DSC01191.jpg

All L20Bs have 6 bolts.

Just the cars came with 200mm

Trucks had the heavy 225mm flywheels.

PM datzenmike. he can give all all the photos and a step by step.

just depends on what you want.

daikenexedy makes stock clutch kits I got mine from importrp.com. those are cheap.

But I went with a Roadster PP(from Nissan) . which is 200mm and same spec as the stock 510 stuff exept is has the douple clamping force if you have a built motor.

But would I know what to order in you case? No I dont know if you order a 200sx(77-79 set up or a 68-73 510 set up. IM NOT sure on this myself.

Ask Datzenmike ,GGZILLA

What Im positive is Roadster PressurePlates(200mm) use the 510 disc T/O bearing and T/O bearing collar!!!!!!!!!

Cool thx. Hey datzenmike, I don't have the luck to have my garage close by!!!! So I can't just drop the tranny any time. But my flywheel looks like the second one in ur pic but with 6bolts. But u now the problem I'm having is that when the car is being used with in 30 minute it hard to get in gear and out? I hold the clutch down and the car still moves? Reverese is imposable? What u think?

But u now the problem I'm having is that when the car is being used with in 30 minute it hard to get in gear and out? I hold the clutch down and the car still moves? Reverese is imposable? What u think?

Clutch not disengaging. Check clutch master cylinder fluid level. Topping it up may fix, otherwise open bleeder screw on the slave and fluid should drain down hill and displace any bubbles. Be sure to keep the master full when doing this. When only clear new fluid come out tighten the bleeder and top up the master reservoir.

If you ordered a truck clutch and got one that was too wide (225mm) then all you need is the smaller 200mm set from any '75-'83 car with 4 cylinder L or Z series motor. Your release collar should work. Take the old clutch off and in with you and ask for an exchange. It may have a part number on it that can be matched or cross referenced.

The centerforce kit? I only see street/srip clutch there. The Centerforce I is good for a stock engine but they don't list one for the L20B.

http://www.centerforce.com/clutches.tpl?cart=1312679385672975&subsection=clutchselector&searchStr=csearchStr4&cstep1=step1&cstep2=step2&cstep3=step3&cstep4=step4&carmake=NISSAN-DATSUN&carmodel=200SX&caryear=1979&carcyl=&option=clutches

i don't like those because they are not easy to slip for smooth takeoff. You let them out and they just grab. I just removed the NISMO bronze clutch and put a standard disk in my truck and it is so much nicer to drive.

The Centerforce Dual Frication is metal on one side and standard on the other. Might be all right.

The centerforce kit? I only see street/srip clutch there. The Centerforce I is good for a stock engine but they don't list one for the L20B.

http://www.centerfor...option=clutches

i don't like those because they are not easy to slip for smooth takeoff. You let them out and they just grab. I just removed the NISMO bronze clutch and put a standard disk in my truck and it is so much nicer to drive.

The Centerforce Dual Frication is metal on one side and standard on the other. Might be all right.

yea i like the hard pulllll

:lol: but ur right the one i was looking at is for a L18:blink: i'll keep looking.