L motor back fire when using compression to slow down

d510addict

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a muffler with very little/no backpressure, this is normal. You can fit a regular muffler on it to get rid of the 'popping'. Or reconnect the throttle opener that Nissan fitted.

Or it could be too rich and a little too much timing. But a small amount of popping occurs even if tuned correctly.

When I got my wagon running, the carb I put on was leaned too far out. I richened it up and this problem decreased, but it didn't go away. After that, I advanced the timing to where it should have been. Now it hardly does it at all.

So, to sum it up, get the right air/fuel mixture, and check your timing.

• Like 1

When I got my wagon running, the carb I put on was leaned too far out. I richened it up and this problem decreased, but it didn't go away. After that, I advanced the timing to where it should have been. Now it hardly does it at all.

So, to sum it up, get the right air/fuel mixture, and check your timing.

^^^ Yup ,,, been there as well ,,, I leaned out my 4bbl a touch to much one time ,,, wen't straight back to my house ,,, re-adjusted with vacuum gauge ( per Holley specs ) ,,, nada since :D ( of course ignition/valve timing was good prior to this ,,, )

:)