Still won't start.

Diesel33g

76 620 all stock engine.

So when I bought the truck, it wouldn't start without starter fluid, and ratsun suggested the fuel pump was bad, so after a few months I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel lines. Now it still won't start on it's own. I used starter fluid and it started, revved up for a second, then died again. I'm assuming it's something with the carb now, but I have no idea how to deal with a carb.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully the fuel has dried or 'jelled' in the carb and just plugged something. Carb cleaner may dissolve it and get you going.

Take a look in the front at the sight glass, can you see the fuel level?

simple.

take out put of fuel pump hose point in safe direction. start truck. gas shpuld shoot out the hose after a couple tries.(hope it has gas!!!!!!)Thats how you trouble shoot a fuel pump in most cases. works or it dont.

then go to carb and cycle the linkage. ,gas should shoot in the main barrel. should see a stream of gas everytime you cycle linkage. if NOT THE CARB IS EMPTY.

the float is stuck closed and not letting gas or clogged.

sometime taPPING ON THE BANJO FITTING WHERE THE GAS LINE GOES IN TO THE CARB MIGHT LOOSEN THE NEEDLE VALAVE TO LET GAS IN THERE.

this simple fix. Man up brother!!!!!!

hopefully you cked for loose or missing bolts

• Like 1

simple.

take out put of fuel pump hose point in safe direction. start truck. gas shpuld shoot out the hose after a couple tries.(hope it has gas!!!!!!)Thats how you trouble shoot a fuel pump in most cases. works or it dont.

then go to carb and cycle the linkage. ,gas should shoot in the main barrel. should see a stream of gas everytime you cycle linkage. if NOT THE CARB IS EMPTY.

the float is stuck closed and not letting gas or clogged.

sometime taPPING ON THE BANJO FITTING WHERE THE GAS LINE GOES IN TO THE CARB MIGHT LOOSEN THE NEEDLE VALAVE TO LET GAS IN THERE.

this simple fix. Man up brother!!!!!!

hopefully you cked for loose or missing bolts

The fuel pump is fine. It's the carb I'm having trouble with. I think it was just clogged though, I have to jump my battery again before I check if I got it unclogged.

Clogged carburetor usually won't unclog with a simple carb cleaner. It needs the fuel bowl cleaned, jets removed and all the passages sprayed through.

Newer carbs have a filter on the inlet that can clog up. Then the float won't come up (no fuel gets to the bowl).

Clogged carburetor usually won't unclog with a simple carb cleaner. It needs the fuel bowl cleaned, jets removed and all the passages sprayed through.

Newer carbs have a filter on the inlet that can clog up. Then the float won't come up (no fuel gets to the bowl).

Thanks zilla, If it still won't start I'll go ahead and do that.