A14 into a 411?

I like posting things in this thread because more people read it, I should have probably put it under 411's but I wanted more opinions.

Ok I have a 1966 PL411. It came stock with a j13, but was swapped to a j15.

The engine is toooast. Doesn't hold a drop of oil, even after all gaskets and seals replaced. Valves shot.

So either a really lengthy expensive rebuild on an engine that's hard to find parts for, or a complete engine swap. At this point just because of how much we've done to the engine, and with how little it helped, I'm thinking that an engine swap seems like the route to go.

So has anybody done this swap, and do you know of what work needs to be done to make that happen.

Unless any of you have a J13 or J15 in good condition they want to sell me for cheap, then I will take it!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the mechanics at the old Torrance Datsun [CA] did this exact swap, an A14 into a 410 or 411, he wasn't too specific, for his daughter. Of course he had the whole resources of an active dealership and four very knowledgable parts counter people to help him. Plus at that time Datsun customer service was in Torrance and very supportive. The dealership has relocated and unfortunately not all the grey beards went with the new location so one on one consultation is impossible. Yes, it can be done. How much pain? That's up to you. What's your threshold of pain?

I would guess it is an intermediate-difficulty swap. Not a simple bolt-in, but not a total fab job either.

* you don't have to create a transmission adapter from scratch

* Engine physical size is nearly identical

* Engine layout is close, both are L4 with intake & exhaust on the left

* Weight is less, no need to upgrade the suspension

So probably just the usual engine swap stuff. Not the easy bolt-in kind.

Hmm well the pumpkn210 would be doing most of the work, whichever way this ends up going. So there will be experienced hands doing the work.

We aren't in a huge hurry to get it running daily, though the sooner the better. But is doing that swap going to be any more of a pain than trying to do a complete rebuild on the existing j15?

Haha usual engine swap stuff.

Well if j13s were laying around everywhere we would go that route for that easy bolt in kind....

A complete rebuild is just seals/gaskets, bearings and rings. It would be easier. Unless some parts are actaully needing repair for example if the bores are worn too much and need a rebore, then it will be more involved. Replacing the pistons and reboring is not part of a normal rebuild.

But the A14 swap might be less expensive than the rebuild kit, say if you can find a good A14 for $160. And the A14 is a better engine than the J15, more power and economy both.

Might look around for an R16, would have to work out the exhaust and intake if you nabbed a roadster one though. but I'm just partial to the roadster's drivetrain. I really think it would be awesome to swap a U20 into one, but thats just getting into craziness.

R16 to turn it into a sudo 411sss

I thought about the R16 for awhile, and there was an R15 on craigslist here awhile ago, but I think that either of those could be just as hard to find parts for in the long runs as my j15 correct?

This is going to be a big learning curve for me in the long run, and I'd like to be as easy on myself as I can haha.

We were pricing out a rebuild kit for the J15, and it was near impossible to find, except for on Forklift sites. Which is a pretty cool thing that the J15 mainly came in forklifts! Cool engine swap to have done from the J13 that it came stock with.

But it was pretty pricy to rebuild.

I thought about the R16 for awhile, and there was an R15 on craigslist here awhile ago, but I think that either of those could be just as hard to find parts for in the long runs as my j15 correct?

This is going to be a big learning curve for me in the long run, and I'd like to be as easy on myself as I can haha.

We were pricing out a rebuild kit for the J15, and it was near impossible to find, except for on Forklift sites. Which is a pretty cool thing that the J15 mainly came in forklifts! Cool engine swap to have done from the J13 that it came stock with.

But it was pretty pricy to rebuild.

R16's are mostly forklift parts, the H20, which was produced for a loooooooooooong time. If you are interested in a R16 might check www.311s.org out, everything and anything you'll need to know plus people always selling one they swapped out.

Part of why I'm having a hard time giving up my R16 is the availability of parts.

After relooking I guess I meant to say the guy meant r16 haha.

Hmm all this debating on what to do! Seems as a general consensus that the A14 is a pretty dime a dozen swap to do in the long run, which is what I'm going for.

I guess for now I should just be prepping my garage for an engine swap. I need to put in a pulley in my carport for this sucker.

you mean the G15, which came in the Datsun 1500 Roadsters? All these engines are not-rare. But not as common as the A14. The A-series is still being manufactured and sold in 2011 Nissan Serena. The G15, R16, H20 and G20 are vintage.