Slayers 1978 620

slayer

well he is the truck i bought about three weeks ago. it's a little project but i am sure it will be fun. it's kind of funny. i paid $200 for the truck then it cost me $150 to register it and get plates and tags. then i put $337 worth of tires on it :)

IMG_0903.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

IMG_0905.JPG

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0966.JPG

IMG_0967.JPG

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i knda like the wheels. and i am not in to lowering my trucks. and i neede good tires. not only is it my project but it's my daily driver and i do 82 - 110 miles a day depending on the day.

it's been back firing for a while so i knew it was out of time. i lookt at the engine for the first time... well the first good look and noticed that the vacuum advance was not hooked to the Dist. :) also noticed that when the ower before tried to bypass the smog stuff he left a couple vacuum hoses unhooked and unplugged so i had all kinds of vacuum leaks. when i put the timing light on it i found out that it was timed for 25 degrees BTDC.

so i found it was su[posed to be set for 12 degrees BTDC but when i put it there it dies the closest i can get is about 15 degrees BTDC.

so now that i have rambled i have a quest. where is a good place to start with the adjusting the Carb? i know it's running rich cause i can smell gas in the exuast and i know on the automatic chock you can spin the houseing the adjust it rich or lean.

any idea where a good place to start is?

thanks guys.

Shane, youre better off with your 521.

Slayer, why did you spend so much on tires, but leave those wheels? Looks like a good project, should keep you busy for a while

lol, I know my 521 is just about done! I'm thinking of getting a kc 620 now though :D. I cant decide!!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the weber is on but after these photos i had to bypass the fuel rail. it passed the fuel inlet in the weber made a neat little "Z" shape cutting the fuel supply low.

then this morning. no matter where i had the choke i could only get it to idle for about 30 seconds at a time and only if it was stomped to the floor

tried to roll it down the hill to roll start it. but to no avail. so i parked it on the side of our road (i live in a mobile home court) drove my wife durango to work. got home got my wife and the tow rope.

went down to the truck checkd to make sure there was fuel in the filter (there was) checked all the plug wires. everything was tight, so for kicks i hopped in a tried it. it just turned over for about a minute and then fired up perfectly and i drove it back up the hill with no issues.

turned it off. restarted it. no issues no idea what the heck happened.

crossing my fingers for in the morning

IMG_1997.JPG

IMG_1996.JPG

cheesy little block off plate :)

IMG_1991.JPG

• 3 months later...

so i pulled off the blinkers to clean them up and do some color testing on that peice of metal

when i pulled off the blinkers... i found that they have more then likely never been off.

blinker_1.jpg

blinker_2.jpg

Much cleaner

blinker_3.jpg

Now i just have to figure out how to make the insde Very reflective :(

blinker_4.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

ok so u pulled the grill and bumper an i am not sure but i do not this this center bar should be pushed back this far should it?

and if it is not suposed to be where should i looks for buckeling so i know what to pull out?

support_1.jpg

support_2.jpg

support_3.jpg

and any idea what this crack is in? i have not cleaned it up yet... but it kinda has the texture of something soft.. not metal.

crack_1.jpg

crack_2.jpg

Thanks Guys

Much cleaner

blinker_3.jpg

Now i just have to figure out how to make the insde Very reflective :(

blinker_4.jpg

Hey Slayer, making your lights more reflective is really pretty easy.

The first thing you need to do is clean the corrosion that has collected inside your light housings. Your reflectors are two piece, so if it is possible, disassemble them as much as you can. This will make the operation alot easier. Fine grit sandpaper (like around 220) or a Scotch Brite pad will usually do the trick. Don't use too rough a grit of sandpaper or Scotch Brite pad or you will scratch the housings up. You want to remove the corrosion, not gouge them up. After you've sanded them down, use some kind of chemical to wipe them down. Make sure you clean them up good and get any sanding dust and loose corrosion out of the housings. I usually use some laquer thinner on a rag. Make sure it is completely dry before you continue.

Next, go to your local Wal Mart, Ace Hardware, Hobby Lobby or similar place and get some Krylon Silver Metallic spray paint. You can use any silver spray paint, but I've found the Krylon is very reflective, dries fast and is pretty durable. Also, get some masking tape to tape off the bulb sockets. If you get paint inside the sockets, the bulbs will not make good contact and they will give you problems. Give the inside of the housing a few good coats. Be sure to take your time and go light on the paint for each coat, that way the paint won't run or sag. The Krylon dries pretty fast if you're using it on a fairly warm day, so it shouldn't take too long to get them painted. After they are dry, reassemble them and you should be good to go. This will make your lights alot brighter. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I did this on a '50 Plymouth I restored a while back. They had 50 years worth of corrosion on them, but they cleaned up pretty well. The difference in brightness was unbelievable!

Hope this little tip will help you out. Good luck! E

• 1 year later...

OK so i finally decided to fix the Exhaust leaks made by the PO when they removed the emissions stuff.... or mostly removed it... i could not get the tubs out so i went to the parts store and got a 5/8's tap (just bigger then the original 16MM) and drilled and tapped and plugged. the one on the side proved to be very stuck even with a plumbing wrench i could not get it out. chewed it up good so i drilled and tapped and plugged it as well. now trying to figure out what to do anout the broken block vent. ANY IDEAS?

mani1.jpg

mani2.jpg

blockvent1.jpg

blockvent2.jpg

• 5 months later...

so i added the 1981 510 60amp alternator. put in a brand new battery. it worked great for about a month. then i noticed that the lights where getting dim again. i drive 60 miles round trip to work and back. i can charge the Bat. and drive 3 days but by the time i get home on the 3rd day my headlights are more like candles. i was wondering what wire on the "T" plug goes to chage the Battery (the top horz. one or the bottom vert.) and if i could cut it and run a new wire right from there to the positive on the Bat. or if that would cause orther issues. input please.