Timing chain rattle

jon521

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides the spring there is an oil feed hole from the main gallery just behind the tensioner. The oil pressure adds to the tension. Thick oil will have a higher pressure at low speeds.

The piston in the tensioner looks to be just over 1/2" say 5/8" so this is about 1/3 of a square inch. If your idle oil pressure is 30 psi then this is 10 pounds of extra tension on the chain to keep it quiet.

motorchaintensioner3Large-1.jpg

NAPA sells the OSK brand timming set for the L20.Might be listd by another company

they have a photo of it it will have a multi hole sprocket. its OK but better than the other one they sell

the kit i have i know is all jap made, so i will just buy a jap made chain for my L20b

@crackerjack

ya good thing! i would love to do a mild cam, something in the direction of torque, but i need to call isky and talk to them still. i still need to get the head put together....

FWIW all FelPro cover kits come with L16, L18, and L20B timing chain cover gaskets. If you happen to find an L16/18 specific box, it's an old one! Believe the same kit applies to L24/L26/L28's as well. Been awhile since I slung parts.

On my L20B, I ran the cam on #1 and never had a problem. And it scooted RIGHT along. I never bothered with #2 or #3, but YMMV.

Also, stay away from Delta Regrinds if you decide to cam it. I run one, and while yes - it does it's job great, it's the noisest son of a bitch cam I have EVER heard. Sounds like it's going to explode at higher RPM's...

But, if I ever rebuild my L20B for a future project while it's on the stand, I will surely be running a DAMB cam from Kelvin Dietz.

I don't know the specs, and can't find them as my book marks are 404'ing, but - here is the only link I can currently find of it : http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=7998&title=damb-ultimate-cam&cat=3012

It's a great cam and I have never heard anybody nay-say it. Great top end, gread mid-range, doesn't struggle on the low.

• 3 months later...

The chain may have stretched, more likely the slack side guides are worn. The oil pump doesn't drive the chain but there is a spring loaded tensioner that also is pushed out by oil pressure from behind. Replacing the chain, tensioner and guides should help. In the mean time change your oil and filter as this may bring up the low speed oil pressure enough to keep it quiet.

If interested you can also swap a high volume oil pump from a KA or Z24i motor from a D-21 Hardbody. They move 14% more oil and although the high speed pressure remains the same (because it's regulated) it does increase the low RPM pressure because of the extra 14% more oil available. My tired 300,000 Km L20B went from a hot idle oil pressure of 17 PSI to 29 PSI simply by throwing a used KA pump on it. I can't stress these enough. They are great and give you peace of mind.

They can be found on early 240sx KA24E motors. The later KA24DE used an internal pump.

'86.5 and up Z24i, KA24E and DE motors. * most common easy to find

'80.5-'83280zx turbo automatic.

'81-'84 Maxima LD28 diesel

I've asked at car parts stores for the high volume oil pump but no one sells them. So is the stock one for those cars a high volume already?

If interested you can also swap a high volume oil pump from a KA or Z24i motor from a D-21 Hardbody. They move 14% more oil and although the high speed pressure remains the same (because it's regulated) it does increase the low RPM pressure because of the extra 14% more oil available. My tired 300,000 Km L20B went from a hot idle oil pressure of 17 PSI to 29 PSI simply by throwing a used KA pump on it. I can't stress these enough. They are great and give you peace of mind.

They can be found on early 240sx KA24E motors. The later KA24DE used an internal pump.

'86.5 and up Z24i, KA24E and DE motors. * most common easy to find

'80.5-'83280zx turbo automatic.

'81-'84 Maxima LD28 diesel

The high volume pumps are not an option or special.... the high volume pumps are already on the D21 4 cylinder motors. Just get one.

You cannot tell from the outside if they are a high volume pump or not... there's no way to tell without removing it so you can look down inside it. Here's how to tell...

Normal L oil pump used on all L16/18/20B/Z20/Z22/Z24 four cylinder and L24/L26/L28/LD28 six cylinder motors. The only difference between them will be the pressure relief spring. If you look down into the oval oil inlet opening you can just barely see the top of the rotor inside.

motorHi-volumeoilpump1Lg.jpg

On the high volume pump the rotor top is clearly visible and actually slightly above the opening. This is because the rotors are longer or in this case taller.

motorHi-volumeoilpump2Lg.jpg

High volume rotors are 1.57" long compared to the regular rotor length of 1.38" or just under 14% longer.

IMG_0186.jpg