KA24E.. Need help with some parts

Ok so I got a ka from Sick620. I have all the truck intake stuff with computer and cut harness but I also have the 240 intake but need ecu and harness. My main question is what ecu should I be looking for. I heard somewhere that I should get one from an auto but there is a few different ones. I know I have a few questions but I cant think right now.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, long time lurker, first time poster lol.

im pulling a ka24e, trans, ecu, wiring harnes, mounts out of a wrecked '89 204sx 5speed. does this mean i can't use the ecu i am pulling? it has to be an automatic ecu?

also, what radiator are the ka24e'ers using? the 240 one i have is busted, the 620 one i have is rotted out, and i would like to avoid any major fabrication as i am on a bit of a deadline. it looks like the aluminum ls1 swap radiators have inlet & outlet on the same side, or can i stick with a KA radiator with a little modification to the truck?

If the 240 you pulled the ka out of is a 5 speed the ecu will work but it will prolly fuel cut about 3rd gear wihout a vss hooked up correctley the #11 and #14 doesnt have that for some reason. I promise a #11 or #14 will work flawlessly. A option for a radiator that works is a 720 radiator but i do belive ya might have to watch out for the lower inlet it may collide with the alternator

perhaps i have misread during my research, but will the 240 5 speed transmission not work with this swap? if thats the case im in trouble.

if its not the case and you can use this transmission, why would the vss not work? its in the end of the transmission housing, why would it not work?

They rely on a combo of the vss the 5th gear switch I think?? I never bothered trying to figure it out. The 5 speed will work fine ya just need a auto ecu then no worrys. and you can use the vss for a aftermarket programable speedometer :cool:

What I am not understanding is if you are using the mtx ecu, why would it stop in third? If there is no vss hpw would the ecu cut out if it has no idea what gear you are in? I am reading on 240sx.org that guys are cutting the vss wire completely and getting unlimited top speed. A 240 trans has no speedo cable, so most guys looking to use their old shit will hhave troubles. I have a truck ka engine/trans and a 1990 240 intake and ecu from a car with a five speed. So since the ecu will have no idea what my vehicle speed is, will id cut ouut at a certain rpm? I am just trying to get some exact clarification here.

What I am not understanding is if you are using the mtx ecu, why would it stop in third? If there is no vss hpw would the ecu cut out if it has no idea what gear you are in? I am reading on 240sx.org that guys are cutting the vss wire completely and getting unlimited top speed. A 240 trans has no speedo cable, so most guys looking to use their old shit will hhave troubles. I have a truck ka engine/trans and a 1990 240 intake and ecu from a car with a five speed. So since the ecu will have no idea what my vehicle speed is, will id cut ouut at a certain rpm? I am just trying to get some exact clarification here.

And as I hacked that out on my phone and did not punctute or spell very well I will try to articulate. The nissan vss is a magnetic reed system. Two sensor outputs to the dash/ecu per revolution, with a 4th and 5th gear switch. Top speed is said to be limited to 115 mph, which is neither here nor there for me, as I do not plan on racing/drifting etc. As I understand and have verified on other 240 specific forums, the vss signal goes first through the cluster, giving your speedo a reading, and then onto the ecu, giving it a reading. I see where many have removed the vss input wire from the ecu, which effectively bypasses the top speed limiter.

What I am having trouble understanding, if the above statement is true, how the ecu for the auto would be different from the manual. Obviously the auto has a vss sensor as well, which obviously is not being used in the type of swapping we are talking about, so the only difference I see is the 4th and 5th gear switches. Perhaps the mtx ecu starts to freak out when it sees demand for fuel but doesent see the signal from the trans saying it is in gear? The inputs in this type of efi system are very basic, and I believe saying a guy has to have an auto ecu is not exactly right, but like it was stated above no one took the time to mess with it, just knowing that the atx ecu would not have that issue. I for one am keeping costs low on this swap, and from what I have read I am leaning towards the gear input switches being the culprit to any fuel/speed limiting that may occur. I am just looking for any other ideas/comments on this idea, since both mtx and atx cars utilized a vss system.

I would imagine there are quite a few threads on this on other boards Bill, but I honestly don't know. I know the speed limiter is a big thing, but I think it's more than just limiting speed. I would think if you figured out the switches, it wouldn't matter. Also, the truck ECUs never had a speed limit either, but you're probably not using the truck EFI stuff. On the other hand, even though Hollander says otherwise, the truck ECU may also work. There a bunch of ECUs that work with the 200sx system, some even from '86. Completely different cars, yet they must be basic enough to still work. I'm not saying it will, but I'd sure be tempted to try.

If Nissan could have save money by using the same board in an ECU and only differentiating by a few switches, it would have saved them lots of money and the two systems aren't that different.

Yea I'm thinking of checking the in/out pins on the computer, cross checking them between truck and car and might even use the truck one if we have something viable........as long as power ground etc are in the same spot lol, not into frying computers.....when I swapped a 93 vg30 into my 87 hardbody with a 96 dash I ran into many scenarios where even though there were spans of years, the wiring was right on! Gonna be a helluva ride, but I will document my findings the best I can!

Sounds good I have the complete truck intake and I think most of the car intake. Need wiring harness, ecu and a bunch of other stuff I don't know yet. Oh a tranny. But yeah I will just need help with the whole thing. I do have the truck wiring. And ecu.

Edited by chester

Ill do what I can here......i am still planning on doing the 240 intake and I have the complete harness, however I might just use the truck stuff, as I have a complete truck..........so either i could hook u up with the 240 gig or even a complete truck harness..........whatever.

Ok I prefer to run the 240 stuff. I have the 240 intake but don't gave the little stuff for I was going to check out if I could swap it over from the truck intake. I also want to do the bell swap for a tranny and I know of some one that just may have a extra. 5 spd. Hint hint

You know what you need to do? You need to go smoke a fattybobatty blunt, and then you'll get that KA rocking and I guarantee you'll see some spacemen and shit! :rofl: (Case in point, Bill?)

:blink::blink::blink:

This is why I'm carbing my KA....

:P