Installing an LSD H233B unit from Pathfinder into D21

IT WORKS GREAT!!!

Previously in four wheel drive in snow, it tended to understeer. I think this will iron that out.

Glad!

Matt wouldn't an LSD (just like a welded diff) add understeer? A locked rear end will tent to plough the front end straight ahead.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On pavement, yes, it will add understeer (not noticeable to me at this point), but on slippery it will oversteer since it's much easier to slide the rear end due to lack of grip and both wheels turning at the same rate.

It seems to tramline a little more now, but hardly at all. Certainly not like the 510 with massive camber.

Bill, heck yeah! You should do the swap at my place but you wouldn't have all those pretty Snap On tools! :) I might have to make a trip up there for photos. I imagine it will take more than a day though.

Have I mentioned that EVERY single vehicle I own currently has an LSD? :D I was so excited today as I drove to work, I jumped around like a little school girl. After I finish barbecuing I may go out to the ORV park and try and get some action shots.

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, Gracie II will burn out, with both tires! :D Didn't get that on video, sadly. And it's not really good for the drivetrain.

• 4 weeks later...

WOW- this is EXACTLY what i needed to read today.

Awesome write up and pics!! this stuff is really hard to visualize without good pics like these... much thanks!!

I've been running a Pathy LSD H233b rear end with 4:6 gears in my Frontier- and it's been awesome!

It locks predictably, but drives normally unless provoked. My issue, since I'm lowered with smaller wheels/tires is the gearing. wound up on the freeway like you wouldn't believe!

I've been searching for 4:3 gears or for the rumored 3:7 gears to get me back closer to the 3:9's that come in the frontiers' C200.

I finally lucked across a VG30 4x4 kingcab with 5speed and a door code of.... HG37 !!

IMG_2666.jpg

I pulled the pumpkin and will be combining the ring/pinion with the LSD carrier. I saw that that free-floating spacer you talked about- and I'm stoked i found out now that i'll need it!

Thanks again!

95f5a842.jpg

IMG_2325.jpg

Yeah, yeah... I meant that LSD H 233 only came in 4.375 and 4.625. Sorry. Fuck me, I have an H-233 4.625 in my shed. Can't believe the shit I have.

I see now, worded oddly! :P