what is this and its purpose?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe its known by another name up here..but I'm having a hard time getting info on what it is and whats its for...

http://www.datsport.com/fitting-instruction/Fitting_hints_EHK_crush_tube.html

Looks to me like something to keep from crushing the frame rail. IE new cross member or something of that nature. I did something like that to my Z car when I put a badass strut bar that went from the top of the strut tower to the frame rail & front sway bar.

I believe the purpose is to prevent you from literally crushing your suspension when you bolt something down onto it. These unibody "frame rails" aren't exactly the thickest walled steel around. From the looks of it, it provides a clamping force "stop".

We used something similar when installing the old 10-foot satellite dishes at people's houses. There were these little inserts that let the tube frame of the dish crush just a little, then ended up tightening on itself.

we don't use those here in USA, never heard of a problem with the crossmember mounting point.

Actually we're legally required to use them when bolting to the suspension/frame in a non-stock location. The stock mounting points should already have some sort of similar device. One of the guys in the Z club actually ended up ripping out part of his suspension through the side of the frame rail on his 240Z because the bolt he used had so little surface area to distribute force over. It didn't help the 240's used 16ga steel for frame components.

The original Datsun mounting points are robust... never heard of a single failure. I suppose if you overtorque the bolts there could be a problem. The load is spread out by the crossmember flange along the subframe rail, and some Datsuns have a plate on the bottom side too.

The original Datsun mounting points are robust... never heard of a single failure. I suppose if you overtorque the bolts there could be a problem. The load is spread out by the crossmember flange along the subframe rail, and some Datsuns have a plate on the bottom side too.

These are primarily used for when you punch through the rail in a place that wasn't reinforced.